General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine oil warning icon

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 06:57 PM
Default Engine oil warning icon

So earlier today while I was driving on the highway the engine oil icon came on. I stopped about 10 miles later at the first gas station. I checked the engine oil and it was pretty low. I put a half of a quart in there and the warning icon/sign disappeared.

I changed my oil about 3K miles ago. So it is a bit odd. At the same time I read in the owners manual that it is normal for the engine to "eat" up to 1 quart every 625 miles.

When I got home I dropped the lower engine cover and there was not one drop of oil there and everything was clean around the engine.
Also my engine oil did not smell like gasoline nor it had any water in it.
I will keep up an eye on the oil level.

Anyone else had a similar experience?
Thanks.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:33 PM

"I read in the owners manual that it is normal for the engine to "eat" up to 1 quart every 625 miles."
I never saw that in my 03 Accord owner's manual.

I've heard of the "1 quart per 1000 miles is acceptable" (according to Honda at least). Check your oil more frequently, and keep it within the operating range. When the oil light comes on, you are dangerously low on oil. If the engine is consuming oil, letting it get low enough to light the low oil pressure light, will only make it worse.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:14 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Your accord probably burns oil.
My Accord is leaking oil, but it doesn't lose 1 quart per every 1000 miles. I always keep a spare quart of oil in my trunk.

I don't care what Honda or Toyota says. If your car burns 1 quart for every 1000 miles, it has a problem. They might have said that because some of their models had problem of burning oil. It is only acceptable to them because it would be on their dimes to correct the issue.
I don't know about Honda, but Toyota did have this issue of burning oil in many of their model in the past due to faulty rings.

I would check for any recalls or Honda Technical Service Bulletin for your particular model year.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:14 AM

[QUOTE=EXV6NIGHTHAWK;375377]"I read in the owners manual that it is normal for the engine to "eat" up to 1 quart every 625 miles."
I never saw that in my 03 Accord owner's manual.

My bad, I misread it in the owners manual. It was for the break in period only.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

There are many things that can lead to oil loss not due to a leak One thing that I find surprising is how few actually ever change the poor old PCV anymore

Old 05-26-2017, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
There are many things that can lead to oil loss not due to a leak One thing that I find surprising is how few actually ever change the poor old PCV anymore
How often do you supposed to change the PCV valve?

Old 05-26-2017, 09:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by f1rlz
How often do you supposed to change the PCV valve?
In the "old days", you changed them every 15000 miles. These days I don't know. But then we used to change the cap and rotor, and the spark plugs every 30K, and spark plug wires every 60K as part of "regular tune ups".
When in doubt, I reference the owners manual, as they built the car.