General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine stalling i used engine degreaser

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default engine stalling i used engine degreaser

ok i think i just messed up my engine. I used engine degreaser on my engine and i covered just the distributor cap. After hosing it down, i waited 20 mins, turn the car on with no problems. Had the car on idle for like 10 mins. I turn the car off and about 1-2 hr after i cleaned the engine, i take a ride and the car starts to stall about 3/4 mile later engine starts to stall.

check engine light starts to blink. So i just parked and shut the car off. This was friday afternoon. It is sunday and i am still having the same problem.. Did i damage a certain engine part?? I was told that i need to let the engine dry up but how long does this take??

Old 01-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I have a 1998 honda accord LX 4 CLY, forgot to mention

Old 01-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

That check engine light flashing means that some sensor is causing a problem. You need to find out what problem the engine computer detected.

If you can drive your car, stop by an autozone and have them read the code. It will start with the letter P and have four numbers. Post that code on here.

If not, then I think there is a way to have the check engine light flash the codes for you. I'll have to look up the procedure.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The code should tell you what sensor is affected but you can look over the sensors and their wire connectors until you get the code. There is the coolant sensor on the head under the dist and the O2 sensor in the exhaust.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:15 PM

the only time an OBDII check engine light light will flash is when there is a misfire... i would pull your plug wires out of the holes on the plug side and check in the holes... i would almost bet you've gotten water down inside one or more of them...

Old 01-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i went to autozone and indeed its misfiring from the 3rd and 4th. I checked and it has some water and humidity from when i hosed down the engine... I will get some new spark plugs... How long does it take for this to dry up?? Must i need to remove the head cover??

These are the codes i got:
P1457 EVAP emission control system leak detected
Causes: Loose fuel cap (i just bought a new one so i guess its not that) Vapor can saturated, failed vent solenoid, failed purge solenoid
P0420 Castalsst system efficiency below threshold bank 1
Causes: A/F ratio concern, air leak near HO2S (heated oxy sensor) bank 1
ignition system concern, faulty catalytic converter
P1399 Random misfire detected
Causes: Blocked EGR Passage, Valve clearance out of range

Old 01-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If you have a misfire from water it is more likely from spark plug wires or the dist cap. Sometimes the coil fails in this manner also. I have never seen spark plugs do this. Is the gasket still in place between the dist. and cap?

Old 01-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

P1457 = EVAP leak in the canister part of the system.
Loose gas cap would set P1456 instead.

Canister is located roughly underneath the left-rear seat. Old decayed & cracked vacuum hoses around there?
One very common cause for P1457 is the canister vent-shut valve corroded shut; it's located on the outboard end of the canister, near the rocker panel.
Look in the DIY forum for something about that.

Exhaust leaks? The O2 sensors actually measure oxygen DIFFERENCE from inside vs. outside. So if there's an exhaust leak blowing onto the outside of the sensor, that can throw it off.

No need to remove the head cover. Use a rag & screwdriver to mop up the water from down inside the sparkplug holes. After misfiring for awhile, that may have caused a permanent problem with the plugs, so it's good to get new ones. Occasionally they work OK just by drying them off.