General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine starts but dies.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 95 accord engine runs, but only on shop rags

1995 EX 2.2 MT

My engine will run but only with supplemental fuel.

It was running great only a few weeks ago when the previous owner had the head gasket replaced and the work is spotty and undone. The work looks very unprofessional and undone.

The local auto salvages do not have many with this fine of detail and since this could be a number of things it is hard to do research.

So far
I replaced the PGMI relay
Motor sounds good

Trial and error
We added power to the number 2 terminal of the PGMI and the car stayed running but the starter also ran.
We suspect something like a missing ground etc. Bling

These wires were just directly routed to the ECU.

The vacuum lines that connect to the FIA are bear but I did not see a place to plug in the FIA control solenoid. This is a big reason I think I may have some missing pieces.
I am working through the manual from Honda hook up, but i hoped someone could shed some light.

Thank you!

Last edited by Justin Dreyer; 07-23-2018 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Updating
Old 07-23-2018, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

I owned a 95 EX manual about 8 years ago, so this picture is driving me crazy.

That vacuum port near the EGR valve is creating a vacuum leak. From the shop manual (page 11-8) that connects to the black snorkel to the throttle body.

A good source for pictures is Ebay and craigslist.

You may also want to take a trip to a u-pull-it type junkyard. There are plenty of 94-97 EX engines that may give you some help.

You may want to test the compression on the engine, since the previous owner did a head gasket on it. Can you find out if they at minimum had the cylinder head milled, so it was perfectly flat?