General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F20b Accord SIR engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 02:15 PM
Default F20b Accord SIR engine replacement

Hi All,
I've got a 2002 honda accord SIR with a tired and progressively more busted engine. I picked up a torneo with the same f20b vtec motor as my car (but runs great) and I'm wanting to swap them over (tranny included).

I've done basic stuff like suspension replacements, dizzys, sensors etc but nothing in the scale of an engine replacement. Has anyone here performed an f20 removal and installation, and if so - any tips to make it less miserable for me?

I know I'll need to replace fluids and exhaust manifold gasket but otherwise hoping it will be a simple unplug / unbolt and engine hoist out, then reverse. Assume a reflash will also be needed.

I recently moved so don't have my tools; assuming sockets + hoist + axle stands are all I'll need.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Jay Calvert; 02-17-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

I'd try to remove every component feasible from the original engine, because you may need it later. There is always a risk of damaging parts when pulling the engine as well.

Keep the original engine and parts until you are up and running with the replacement. Not sure if all the sensors are identical on the toreno.

Ericthecarguy has some engine swap videos that should give you some helpful tips.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I'd try to remove every component feasible from the original engine, because you may need it later. There is always a risk of damaging parts when pulling the engine as well.

Keep the original engine and parts until you are up and running with the replacement. Not sure if all the sensors are identical on the toreno.

Ericthecarguy has some engine swap videos that should give you some helpful tips.
Everything PA said, plus pull the engine and trans out of both together. I only say that, because you'll only need to remove a couple more bolts than doing them separately. I learned that helping my son with his Civic. And drain the trans first! Then pull the axles. Label all the wires and connectors whenever possible too.