General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

factory harmonic balancer(front&rear) positions

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 09:14 AM
Question factory harmonic balancer(front&rear) positions

2001 Accord 2.3

Just replaced the timing belt & water pump but noticed the front balancer didn't seem to be aligned to factory spec when the crankshaft was at TDC. I moved it to the mark & car seems slightly rough when accelerating.

What is the factory position for the balancers when the crankshaft is TDC? I aligned the front with the factory marking & the rear at about 5 o'clock(stick the bolt in) Does this sound correct?

Could these have been off originally from the factory?

Thanks!!

Old 04-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

I doubt that they were off from the factory. I would pull off the cover and get the cam sprocket aligned to TDC, then check the crank mark.

This is how my 95 is setup, yours may be different. As for the balance shafts, the front one has a line on the shaft that should line up with a mark on the pulley. The rear one has an access hole on the back of the engine block where you can insert a 1/4 drill bit to hold the rear balance shaft in the position.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I doubt that they were off from the factory. I would pull off the cover and get the cam sprocket aligned to TDC, then check the crank mark.

This is how my 95 is setup, yours may be different. As for the balance shafts, the front one has a line on the shaft that should line up with a mark on the pulley. The rear one has an access hole on the back of the engine block where you can insert a 1/4 drill bit to hold the rear balance shaft in the position.
yea, same here. I used the bolt hole for the rear but felt like there was 2 positions when the bolt would go through so after some more research I chose the the position between 4-5 o'clock; does this sound correct?

Old 04-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

That does sound about right with the 4-5 o'clock setting.

Here is a post from a 92 TB job, and that setup is similar to the 01, since they are F-series engines. There are pics on the second page.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ad.php?p=24167

I would recheck the marks by lining up the cam first. Then check the crank is lined up on the bottom. Finally check the front balance shaft marks and then insert a bolt into that rear access hole to see if the rear is lined up.