General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feathered tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 01:45 PM
Default Feathered tire wear

I was recently at a garage to check on a "clunk" noise coming from the left front of the car. They checked and couldn't find anything loose/damaged. They then told me that because my tires were feathered, that I needed to replace the struts on all 4 corners. I did a "bounce" test on the car and it still seems as stiff as it was when it was new. I currrently have >150K on the car, should I listen to the garage and replace the struts? One more thing, I usually take the exit/entrance ramps "clover leaf" type around 70 MPH, this probably contributes to the feathering.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

With feathered tire wear the first thing I think of is alignment. Mostly toe but to a lesser extent camber. So get an alignment.

Now maybe they saw other indications like shocks leaking fluid, or balljoints being loose. Maybe you can get another shop's opinion.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
With feathered tire wear the first thing I think of is alignment. Mostly toe but to a lesser extent camber. So get an alignment.

Now maybe they saw other indications like shocks leaking fluid, or balljoints being loose. Maybe you can get another shop's opinion.
I had an upper left ball joint replaced about 5 months ago, everything else was tight. The shop didn't find any visible signs of strut damage, only the feathered tread wear. The suspension feels strong. I put my 245 pounds on all 4 corner's and performed the "bounce" test and the car was solid. I had the car aligned two years ago. Maybe I should have it done again.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Jet sitter
I had the car aligned two years ago. Maybe I should have it done again.
So there's no driving problem ... if it's not broken don't fix it.
I'd accept the feathered wear vs. the $80 alignment fee.
Rotate tires as normal, and keep pressure up; if most of the wear is on the edges your pressure is probably too low.
Would be the first thing I'd check.

When get new tires, then do the alignment with the fresh rubber.

Last edited by UhOh; 02-01-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by UhOh
So there's no driving problem ... if it's not broken don't fix it.
I'd accept the feathered wear vs. the $80 alignment fee.
Rotate tires as normal, and keep pressure up; if most of the wear is on the edges your pressure is probably too low.
Would be the first thing I'd check.

When get new tires, then do the alignment with the fresh rubber.

I agree with your conclusion, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The car handles fine and I still have another year of service remaining on them. I'll just keep trucking along, until I purchase a new set. Than I'll have an alignment done.