General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is wrong with my car!? Clutch, Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Angry What is wrong with my car!? Clutch, Tranny?

Hey guys, new to the site so I apologize in advance if I don't do this right. Not sure how to get my make/model to show up under my username but I'm driving a 1999 Accord EX 2.3L VTech with a manual Transmission.

My symptoms just started yesterday and my boyfriend seems to think it's my clutch or pressure plate that needs to be replaced so I'm just looking for any input from you Honda enthusiasts.

The actual clutch itself is not acting any different and shifting gears doesn't really produce any symptoms but when I try to accelerate when the car is already in gear, she just doesn't want to giddy up and go like she did before. I really have no idea how to explain it well but I notice it the most when I'm in 3rd or 4th gear. Its most noticeable when merging onto the highway or trying to pass someone on the highway because I'll step on the accelerator and the car sounds like it's trying to accelerate but I don't go any faster at first, it takes about 5 seconds before it "catches" and speeds up a little but nothing like it used to.. (boyfriend says this is the clutch that's catching).

All in all she just sounds sick and I have no idea where to start because everyone wants $100 just to diagnose my problem.

Anything will help guys, I appreciate it

I should add that my ignition switch is bad...I don't think it would have anything to do with my current symptoms or not but I figured you should know!

Old 12-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by angel_eyez
... I notice it the most when I'm in 3rd or 4th gear...
OK clutch/manual trannies directly couple engine rpm to car speed for a given gear.
So pick 3rd gear on ~level/gentle road and on a pad note down, 2 columns, speedometer mph vs. engine rpm.
start at 20 mph, 30, 40, 50, 60 ...

then when you're on the on-ramp trying to accelerate and experience the problem see if the direct rpm/speed relationship
you had noted is still true. If it is still true the clutch is working/gripping.

usually a simpler way is to accelerate up a local hill in 2nd gear very hard (floor it). If the rpms go to the roof, at some point,
w/o speed going up and you find yourself saying "Oh sugar" then your clutch is bad (slipping).

Old 12-13-2011, 08:01 PM

+1 to the clutch slipping. Sounds like classic symptoms to me. I would replace all the clutch components while you have it apart. Clutch plate, pressure plate, and throw out bearing. One other possibility is that maybe your hydraulic slave cylinder isn't working right.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by UhOh
then when you're on the on-ramp trying to accelerate and experience the problem see if the direct rpm/speed relationship
you had noted is still true. If it is still true the clutch is working/gripping.

Yes, must know if then engine rpm's are going up without speed increasing.

Is the CEL (check engine light) on, or been on recently?

Old 12-16-2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by UhOh
experience the problem see if the direct rpm/speed relationship you had noted is still true. If it is still true the clutch is working/gripping.

usually a simpler way is to accelerate up a local hill in 2nd gear very hard (floor it). If the rpms go to the roof, at some point,
w/o speed going up and you find yourself saying "Oh sugar" then your clutch is bad (slipping).
So I don't know what to say now because I did the hill test and the car was fine, the rpms never went up without the speed going up as well.... and when I tried to test the rpm/speed relationship on a flat road the rpms were consistent with the speed but when I try to push the gas peddle farther to pick up speed faster nothing really happens, it doesn't pick up speed like it used to.

I just don't know how to explain it well, the car just doesn't seem to have the power it used to, and I know it's an old car but it all of a sudden just started acting like this, I guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and pay for someone to hopefully diagnose my problem properly.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Yes, must know if then engine rpm's are going up without speed increasing.

Is the CEL (check engine light) on, or been on recently?
Ya like I said, the rpms and speed seem to stay consistent and go up together, it's just when I want to accelerate faster than normal that I notice it just doesn't seem to have the power to do it.

The check engine light is NOT on. It was on for about a year when I first got the car because I needed a new knock sensor I think it was? but I had that fixed in the spring and the check engine light has not come on since then. The timing belt also had to be replaced, and the timing belt went about 5 months BEFORE I replaced the knock sensor.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, sounds like the clutch is fine.

Next, are the tune up items (cap, rotor, check wires, plugs, ect) up to date? Need to rule these out.

When the engine is cold, is the issue present or does it seem to happen after the engine has warmed up?

Old 01-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Default Fixed!!

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that it WAS the clutch that was causing my symptoms!! and thank goodness its finally fixed. She's like new, no more hesitation when I accelerate.

Unfortunately, by the time I got the car home...the check engine light was on!! Yep, that's just my luck. P1259 Vtec system malfunction.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Check your oil level on the dipstick to be sure that you are not running low on oil.

Since you just had work done on the car, check that the two electrical connectors are plugged into the vtec solenoid and pressure switch. They are located on the passenger side of the engine block towards the back of the car. This is behind the distributor.

Maybe they forgot to plug it in, or plugged it in loosely?

Old 02-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Default Good Call!

Originally Posted by PAhonda
check that the two electrical connectors are plugged into the vtec solenoid and pressure switch. They are located on the passenger side of the engine block towards the back of the car. This is behind the distributor.

Maybe they forgot to plug it in, or plugged it in loosely?

Good Call PAhonda!!! You just saved me so much time and hassle! I am a habitual oil checker, she takes about 1 quart per week sometimes 2 in the summer months, so that wasn't the issue. The plugs were actually plugged in properly upon first inspection, but after a closer look, the wires leading up to one of the plugs weren't actually connected to the plug. No more CEL. No more engine sputter.

Now I just have to replace my ignition switch and hopefully I will be good to go!
Thanks again!