General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a Few peculiarities

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default a Few peculiarities

Just bought a 2000 Accord LX Sdn. Has the 4 cyl and 5 spd tranny. It also has replacment struts that lowered the front end a couple inches, and after markte ASA rims and some low profile tires on them. So it sits quite low in the front.

Few things I have noticed....
1. The clutch pedal has to be pushed almost clear to the floor to fully disengage, I have to use the ball of my foot, as the entire foot will not fit down that tight to the floor. Is this typical? Is there an issue with the hydraulic system?

2. When the clutch is disengaged, depressed, and primarily in corners, I seem to get a low growl sound. I read a TSB that sounds like it may be the issue here, but I think it only applied to 98 and 99.

3. The headlights are so cloudy the light is very weak at night, do these polishing systems do any good?

Thanks for any input and help!!

Old 08-23-2011, 04:10 PM

I can't help on the first two, but as for number three there s a headlight cleaner that you can get from advanced auto that will do a decent job clearing the headlights up. Its called turtle wax lens restorer kit. Its a 3 step process and only takes about 10 to 20 minutes depending on how much you polish the headlights.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

1) Sounds like the clutch hydraulic system has air & you need to bleed it. Look for leaks:
- around the slave cylinder
- in & under the carpeting where the clutch pedal pushrod goes through the firewall
>> Fix the leaks first.

2) Deal with #1 first because this one just might dissapear. What's the TSB about, because 2000 is all but identical to 1999.

3) (never tried those)

Old 08-23-2011, 06:29 PM

My boss use some headlight compound from NAPA for his Benz, they same out pretty good, not like new but night and day difference, he used some wet sand then polish with compound with the little buffer machine.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

For the headlights, I have used Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish. It grittier than regular car polish and helps remove the layer of oxidation from the surface of the headlight.

You can pick it up at most parts stores. Just apply some polish, then use a rag to wipe over the lens. Keep even pressure using your hand to go over the headlights. Then wipe off with a clean rag. That should clear a lot of the oxidation off of the lens.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the ideas and info. I looked at the master and found the fluid looked very brown and thick. So I sucked it out and added new, now need to bleed the crappy stuff out of the lines and slave. Maybe this will help some.

The TSB I saw was about the clutch lines vibrating when the clutch is pushed and the solution was to replace the entire hydraulic clutch system components. Can't seem to find it back now.

The noise is very inconsistant. Comes for a while, but then disappears. Onyl happens when the clutch is pushed in, and typically in a turn. Seems to come from drivers side, maybe near the suspension on that side.

I did get one of those kits to polish the headlight lenses, worked really well for me. Lights are MUCH brighter, and lenses look pretty clear. Might improve with a little more polishing and patience, but then, patience is a virtue and I have never been very virtuous.