General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by dgp1961
Change it according the the vehicles reminder and put in "whatever" the garage puts in it.
Actually, "whatever" the garage puts in it is exactly a good reason to do it your self. Do you really know if they are putting in what is specified?
On my car and my Chrysler mini van, I have no idea if what "they" put in is what the car needs, unless you are at the Dealer.
One example is that unless I give them the beat down, the Chrysler always seems to get 32lbs in the tires and 5w-30 in the motor, when it actually gets 36lbs in the tires and 5w20 in the motor.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:54 PM

yea I plan on buying mobile 1 from walmart since it seems everyone agrees that's one of the cheaper places to buy it.

I've had oil changes done at places like Midas/jiffy lube/etc in the past with no problem, but I think it's time I learn to do my own.

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Does the manual say anything else about oil specs? The specification would be different than the "weight", which the weight should be 0w-20.

"API SM" is one spec that you can find on most or all engine oil pretty much everywhere. More sticter specifications might be something like "Honda xxx-yyyy" which you would look for in the fine print on the back of the oil bottle.
Under the adding engine oil section, it just recommends 0w-20 detergent oil displaying the API certification seal (with for Gasoline Engines), preferably honda motor oil. I'll have to look through again to see if they mention oil specs.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:18 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by MysticBlueEX
Actually, "whatever" the garage puts in it is exactly a good reason to do it your self. Do you really know if they are putting in what is specified?
On my car and my Chrysler mini van, I have no idea if what "they" put in is what the car needs, unless you are at the Dealer.
One example is that unless I give them the beat down, the Chrysler always seems to get 32lbs in the tires and 5w-30 in the motor, when it actually gets 36lbs in the tires and 5w20 in the motor.
It's a lease the driver doesn't and never (assuming here) plans on owning it. Full Synthetic on a lease only to hand it back?? Not me I'd put in whatever's available just like I said. Oil isn't rocket science and I doubt any "oil change house" or specially the dealer would put in anything that would harm the vehicle. I've had three leases in the family and never worried about anything I gased them up and drove them. After three years I went back to the dealership and handed over the keys. Hell I know people that have done much worse to leases then handed them in. Believe me things I never would think of but that's another story.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

It's a lease the driver doesn't and never (assuming here) plans on owning it. Full Synthetic on a lease only to hand it back?? Not me I'd put in whatever's available just like I said. Oil isn't rocket science and I doubt any "oil change house" or specially the dealer would put in anything that would harm the vehicle. I've had three leases in the family and never worried about anything I gased them up and drove them. After three years I went back to the dealership and handed over the keys. Hell I know people that have done much worse to leases then handed them in. Believe me things I never would think of but that's another story.
Remind me to never buy a car you've previously leased.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Almost A Senior Member

It's a lease the driver doesn't and never (assuming here) plans on owning it. Full Synthetic on a lease only to hand it back?? Not me I'd put in whatever's available just like I said. .
I get better gas mileage with synthetic oil, the tires don't wear out as fast with the correct pressure, and at 27$ for a DIY oil change, its cheaper than most drive through places.
Also I have heard a lot of horror stories about cross threaded filters and drain plugs. One elderly woman I know almost destroyed her Ford Escape because of some careless oil change worker cross threaded the filter and she was losing 1/2 qt oil a day.
Don't think it can happen to you?

Last edited by redbull-1; 12-05-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

This is something from a Honda Service News a while back, see attached.

Attached Thumbnails First Oil Change-0w-20-oil.jpg  
Old 12-05-2012, 06:16 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by MysticBlueEX
I get better gas mileage with synthetic oil, the tires don't wear out as fast with the correct pressure, and at 27$ for a DIY oil change, its cheaper than most drive through places.
Also I have heard a lot of horror stories about cross threaded filters and drain plugs. One elderly woman I know almost destroyed her Ford Escape because of some careless oil change worker cross threaded the filter and she was losing 1/2 qt oil a day.
Don't think it can happen to you?
My days of crawling under my car(s) doing my own changes to save 10.00 are over.

Last edited by redbull-1; 12-05-2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Deleted comment. Please do not flame.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Please keep things on topic and civil.