General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First snow of the year, drifting disaster

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 11:19 PM
Default First snow of the year, drifting disaster

alright so after work today i thought it would be a good idea to enjoy the ice, long story short i chipped a curb with my right tire. (going about 15-20). Steering wheel sits slightly to the right now ( but drives straight). Makes a rattling noise when driving straight or turning left ( no noise turning right). No external damage. would like to hear so possible causes and prices to have it done. My mechanic is usually pretty cheap.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:22 PM

also its an 06 3.0L V6 2 door

Old 01-10-2015, 07:38 AM

Two things that come to mind. You may have possibly chipped the race in the front right wheel bearing but that should not necessarily cause the steering wheel to be out of alignment, but would cause the noise. Does the noise get lounger when turning left and quite down a little when turning back straight? This would only be a potential cause if you hit on the front right.

The other things could be a damaged inner or outer tie rod or bent rack, but the rattling noise does not typically come into play with these issues. There is a remote chance one of the CV's was damaged.

It may be as simple as you need an alignment to straighten the wheel and the rattling may be a bad or broken sway bar link.

When any car hits something like a curb and there is a change in car performance or drivability the car should be looked at and all suspension components looked at including ball joints, sway bar, shocks and springs, wheel bearings, lower control arms and bushing. Also with alloy rims they should be checked to see if they were warped.

I hope this helps give you some insight. Welcome to the HAF community!