General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time changing spark plugs at 165k miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 05:29 PM
Default First time changing spark plugs at 165k miles

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. We have a 2002 Accord EX-L that we've owned since new. It has always been a solid, dependable vehicle for the family and it has been passed down to me now. I'm planning on replacing the leaking valve cover gasket + spark plug tube seals, timing + all drive belts, water pump, tensioners, oil seals and the spark plugs. My question is how risky/difficult is it to remove 165k mile-old spark plugs? It would be my worst nightmare to find out they are fused to the engine threads or something.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I don't know how many peeps have the same hi mileage plug experience you're looking at, but it's a real question.
You're a car guy - do you do it all yourself? or take the risky part to a dealer mechanic shop with it's warranty.

My guess, but it's only a guess, is that you could do it yourself.
But if you're concerned, then do all the other stuff and take to dealer to do a 'tune-up.'
Of course find out how much 'tune up' costs ahead of time. You're saving a bunch on the other work ...

BTW, don't be surprised to find that the spark plug wells have oil in them, just guessing.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:04 PM

i would hope.. it hasnt been that long w/o a spark plug change, maybe they were done and just never documented.

Most plugs when done use anti seize lube so that over time the plugs wont melt to the engine. if they were never done then your in for a rough ride

just like plugs, the wires use dielectric grease, for a better spark/connection and so they also dont fuse to the distrib cap.

as for the leaking valve cover.. i hope it isnt horrible. you might find oil in your spark plugs, or even worse, there might be coolant in your oil if its the other way. GoodLuck

Old 02-21-2013, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

if you're going to get dirty with this car now and in the future, get a nice shiny new service manual. as far as the plugs, do them cold (just my preference) turn them an initial 1/4 turn loosening, then back to tight and then fully remove. get some permatex anti-sieze (a little bit goes a loooooooong way) put a dab on the threads of the new plugs and DONT overtighten them. as soon as they are snug, go another quarter turn and thats it. have fun!

Old 02-21-2013, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Honda uses Denso or NKG spark plugs as OEM.

Per NGK's tsb: All NGK spark plugs are manufactured with a special trivalent Zinc-chromate shell plating that is designed to prevent both corrosion and seizure to the cylinder head; thus eliminating the need for any thread compounds or lubricants on initial installation.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/TB-...1antisieze.pdf

So, it may not be a big problem removing the old plugs; however, I would still follow what Dr. D. posted regarding removal to be extra careful. One of the tricks is to slightly loosen, then tighten back a little, and continue to loosen; I was taught that long ago. I also change plugs when they are cold.

"do them cold (just my preference) turn them an initial 1/4 turn loosening, then back to tight and then fully remove."

Old 02-21-2013, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

They're down in the bottom of a hole, so if one is really stuck, you can drop some penetrant down there. Liquid Wrench or Kroil. The threads are probably not rusted, so those 2 might work better than PB Blaster. Working them back & forth is especially good in combination with penetrant.

I've never been unable to get them out cold, but if so, try them hot. Aluminum head will expand more than the steel plug. However, the aluminum will also be weaker when it's hot.

So... Engine all warmed up, turn it off, let it cool down somewhat, but still quite warm to the touch. You don't want to try taking them out when the sparkplug is hot but the head isn't hot yet.