General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fitv question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Fitv question?

So its my understanding that when the engine warms to operating temp that there should be little to no suction at the fitv port inside the tb. I took my fitv off and cleaned it up and put back together. Reinstalled it on the vehicle and reset the ecu and started the car and let it sit and warm to operating temp.
after reaching operating temp i found that i still have suction at the port (same amount as i do when cold)

The idle does not surge and is right where it should be despite this fact.

My question is since there is still suction at the port this tells me the fitv is bad. Do i need to replace it?

Also if anyone has followed my rpm cold and hot issue:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...stumped-53054/
Could this account for this issue since the fitv was probably not working properly when base idle was set?

Old 03-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

There's a thread over in DIY about opening up the FITV and tightening a plunger inside. I haven't done that so I'm a little vague about it.

Then, I guess I should ask if you have the right port, just so I'm not taking anything for granted? Maybe you're feeling suction on the IACV port?

Old 03-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Yeah i broke it down completely and cleaned every piece, as for the port the top port is the iacv and the one im checking for suction on is the bottom port going to the fitv.

Is that correct jim? lower port=fitv

Old 03-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Yes lower port....something like the attached . If nothing else a good description of the air flow thru the TB, including both the FITV and IACV.

EDIT: And to add a bit. Never adjusted the FITV on my 5th gen, done a few of my 3rds. When/if you tighten the "ball", it should be "snug". If you go too far then you will get a bounce in the idle just as the FITV should close....as it closes too early and the IACV tries to adjust. Be sure as well that the o-ring on the cover of the fitv is sealing all the way.

Attached Thumbnails Fitv question?-5th-gen-fitv.jpg  

Last edited by poorman212; 03-22-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Almost A Senior Member

yep, thats what i did, i took it apart and cleaned all the pieces and put it back together.
The "ball" is tightened snugly and all the orings were cleaned and look good. Even after reinstall it idles fine, but there is constant suction at the fitv port even after getting to operating temp.

So, I guess im gonna replace it asap and theoretically it seems that could be the issue iv been having with the different rpm range at speed after it warms up.

I'll let ya know what happens after i replace it.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

I might try one from a bone yard if they are not that proud of them....I bet a new one they are very proud of.

Don't forget the normal stuff. If a good amount of air is getting around the old one and you correct that....then the idle will need to be checked/relearn, I'm sure you have seen Jim' write up before.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I hear ya on that, I was already planning on starting at the local yard where i picked up my replacement fender. I'm gonna try and down play its value/worth and see what they will let it go for.

Once i replace it i had already planned on resetting base idle and ecu. Hope it works out and fixes that other little issue like i think it will!

Old 03-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Are you having idle problems? I replaced my FITV on my 95 accord. The new one had a slight vacuum on it.

If the idle stabilizes when you plug that lower port, then you know your FITV is bad.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Idle is stable at all times, unplugged with suction at operating temp- stable, plug it with my finger-no change still stable. It like my idle doesnt know how to be erratic