General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Foggy/oxidized headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Default Foggy/oxidized headlamps

I have an 01 Accord LX with severely oxidized headlamps. A year or so ago I used the TurtleWax product to restore them, and it has already gotten just as bad again.

Is there a better product that buffs the oxidation out or do I need new headlamps altogether?

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 09-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Most headlight restoration products works to some degree; however, if you want it to stay clear you need to use a restoration product like the 3M restoration kit, which sands away a few layers of the weathered plastic and then periodically apply a plastic protectant. The 3M kit is also available at Walmart and auto parts stores.

amazon.com/3M-Headlight-Lens-Restoration-System/dp/B001AIZ5HY

Old 09-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

The "plastic lens" is probably several layers of different material. At some point you lose the outermost layer (pretty thin coating) & then it's a game of re-polishing it periodically until you get tired of doing that & buy new headlamps.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Josh's Accord
I have an 01 Accord LX with severely oxidized headlamps. A year or so ago I used the TurtleWax product to restore them, and it has already gotten just as bad again.

Is there a better product that buffs the oxidation out or do I need new headlamps altogether?

Thanks in advance!!!
The lenses on my 01 are in the early stages of oxidation. How did the TurtleWax stuff work initially?

Old 09-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I just did this to my 2000 LX Accord with the 3M kit I bought at Autozone. Kit cost me about $25, came with two levels of dry sand paper to put on the sanding disk that also came with it. Also came with a very high grit wet sanding pad that also velcro attaches to the sanding disk. Finally, it comes with a buffing/polishing pad that velcros to the same disk and the polishing compound to use.

In my case, it took about 30-40 minutes total, that includes the time to put masking tape on all the painted surrounding surfaces. The headlights went from a foggy haze I could not see through to almost crystal clear.

I can not speak to the longevity of the repair, its only been maybe a month, but I see no sign of degredation just yet.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by WhiskeySlick
The lenses on my 01 are in the early stages of oxidation. How did the TurtleWax stuff work initially?
Hey Whiskey

It did okay initially, but not as well as I would have liked. I guess that makes sense since it was only $9 or $10. I am going to try another product. The oxidation drives me crazy!

Old 09-09-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by dgLX2k
I just did this to my 2000 LX Accord with the 3M kit I bought at Autozone. Kit cost me about $25, came with two levels of dry sand paper to put on the sanding disk that also came with it. Also came with a very high grit wet sanding pad that also velcro attaches to the sanding disk. Finally, it comes with a buffing/polishing pad that velcros to the same disk and the polishing compound to use.

In my case, it took about 30-40 minutes total, that includes the time to put masking tape on all the painted surrounding surfaces. The headlights went from a foggy haze I could not see through to almost crystal clear.

I can not speak to the longevity of the repair, its only been maybe a month, but I see no sign of degredation just yet.
I am going to try this---thanks to everyone for the great tips.