General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front light washers leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 04:40 AM
PedroG
Unregistered
Default Front light washers leak

Hi, I just got an 1990 Honda Accord 2.0. I'm new to the forum, I'm new to Honda, and I'm quite inexperienced in auto repair in general. Also English isn't my mother tongue, and I don't know the English words for most car parts, so bear with me.

When I got the car I knew that the front light washers weren't working. The motor (or whatever) audibly runs, but no water is sprayed on the lights. I figured this was my first DIY repair.

I soon noticed that when the light washer was used, the fluid dripped down below both lights. I managed to remove the bumper. The spraying unit (that stands on the bumper, outside the car) is ok, the problem seems to be in a small connector right before the sraying unit. This plastic connector makes a 90 degree turn, and the direction of fluid flow is clearly marked.

Oddly (to me), on both connectors there is a small hole on the back of the connector. That's where the fluid comes out, and it shouldn't. For clarity, the fluid should turn left and go to the sprayer, but instead it turns a right and comes out from that little hole. Both connectors do this when I use the washer, and also if I simply put some water in my mouth and blow it to the connector.

It seems that this connector is faulty, right?

What is the meaning of that small hole, anyway? Is the connector some sort of a valve or what?

Old 07-31-2006, 09:15 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Front light washers leak

What country are you from?

Old 07-31-2006, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Our Hondas don't have headlight washers here in USA, but those 'connectors' sound just like what's on my Saab. In this picture, there's a small hole in the 'top' of the round part.

I'm sure it's a little different on your Honda, but that's a check valve to prevent water from flowing backwards & emptying the hose.

The water should not come out of that hole. There's a rubber disk inside that round part, yours is probably torn. They're not too expensive, so just get new ones.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:39 AM
PedroG
Unregistered

I'm from Finland, Europe. I bought the Haynes Repail Manual, it doesn't mention the headlight washers either, so I guess they're quite rare.

JimBlake: my valve looks just about the same as your Saab's. I contaced a Honda parts seller, the original valves cost 34 euros per unit! Terrible price for what they do, really. I went to a few shops that sell non-original parts, but they haven't had this part any more for several years.

I guess I have to try to find used parts from wrecked cars or the like.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: PedroG

I'm from Finland, Europe. I bought the Haynes Repail Manual, it doesn't mention the headlight washers either, so I guess they're quite rare.

JimBlake: my valve looks just about the same as your Saab's. I contaced a Honda parts seller, the original valves cost 34 euros per unit! Terrible price for what they do, really. I went to a few shops that sell non-original parts, but they haven't had this part any more for several years.

I guess I have to try to find used parts from wrecked cars or the like.
Wow! Maybe they're more than a simple check valve on a Honda. Got many Saabs in wrecker yards over there? Just for grins, try those valves.

On my picture, just below the top there's a split line where the body snaps together. If it's the same, take a knife & pry apart. Replace the rubber diaphragm with a piece cut from a rubber glove or something like that.

(Or... maybe the Honda ones are completely different.)

Old 08-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

the valve is probably just clogged.......if you clean it out it should still work....but yea there has never been a honda here in the US that has had light washers. we got the fuel injection, you got the light washers