General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pressure issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 05:30 PM
Exclamation Fuel pressure issues?

hey I was wondering if you guys could help.

I have a 2002 Honda Accord EX 4 cylinder Automatic. about two or three months ago my girlfriend left it running all night two night in a row. the first night I brushed it off and thought it should be okay. after night two it wrecked the battery and I replaced it. flash forward about two weeks and it had a weird episode where it was moving forward on flat land without me pressing on the gas. it happened once so I didn't think anything of it. then everytime we drove the opposite would happen. we would push on the gas the car would struggle and stay at 0 mph, but it would rarely happen. this concerned me more. when we took it to the store when we tried to leave it wouldn't start. after about ten minutes it finally started. after that i stopped driving it to prevent further damage. no check engine light this whole time. I decided to take it to auto zone and have a scan anyway. it read as a faulty fuel pressure regulator. I had the fuel pressure regulator replaced. it seemed like it was working after that but after a day the problems started again and more frequently. I quit driving it because of this.

I was wondering if anyone knew what most likely would be the cause of the issue?

Old 10-07-2017, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Can you post the actual code on here? There is no sensor for the fuel pressure regulator, so there is not a code specific for a faulty fuel pressure regulator.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Can you post the actual code on here? There is no sensor for the fuel pressure regulator, so there is not a code specific for a faulty fuel pressure regulator.
sorry, I meant to add the code to the post but forgot. the codes were p0171 and p0170

Old 10-07-2017, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Those codes mean the oxygen sensor is detecting excessive oxygen indicating a lean air/fuel mixture. One cause is lack of fuel pressure due to the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel injector issue, or no gasoline.

Start with the simplest fix. Add a gallon of gasoline to be sure you didn't run out of gas.

Before replacing any more parts, can you connect a fuel pressure gauge and read the fuel pressure from the fuel pump?

Did the car run out of gasoline when the engine was left running?

Old 10-08-2017, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Those codes mean the oxygen sensor is detecting excessive oxygen indicating a lean air/fuel mixture. One cause is lack of fuel pressure due to the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel injector issue, or no gasoline.

Start with the simplest fix. Add a gallon of gasoline to be sure you didn't run out of gas.

Before replacing any more parts, can you connect a fuel pressure gauge and read the fuel pressure from the fuel pump?

Did the car run out of gasoline when the engine was left running?
it didn't run out of gas when it was running all night it just died at some point both of the nights. it was on a full tank both nights when it was left running.

I know it has gas in it because I just put some in.

I tried to test the fuel pressure with the kit from oreillys, but it didn't have the right adapter to fit on my car so I was unable to test it.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

I suspect that you have low fuel pressure.

The fuel pressure test is the best way to determine if the fuel pump is putting out enough pressure.

I'm not sure how to use the O'Reilly fuel kit on an accord.

The fuel filter is part of the fuel pump assembly. You could have low voltage to the fuel pump. You would have to back-probe the blk/yel wire to the fuel pump under the back seat and see if you are getting 12V to ground with the engine idling.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:03 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

That would be my guess too (low fuel pressure). Unfortunately, the way the 6th gen is plumbed for fuel you need a very special fuel pressure adapter that nobody sells (it goes between the FPR and the fuel rail).
At least you don't have to drop the tank to replace the fuel pump, as Honda made the opening large enough to access it. The problem though is that the screws might be rusted in place.