General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Sending Unit

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Botones95
Unregistered
Default Fuel Sending Unit

The low fuel light in my 99 Accord EX-V6 has recently stopped working. It would always light up just before the needle got to the 'E' and stay on. Then one day on my way to the store, I realized that the needle was well below the 'E' and the light had never come on. Since this time, the light has come on ONE TIME for a couple of minutes and then disappeared again. Today, I checked out the fuses and they were all fine. I then went in the trunk and jumped the #1 and #3 pins on the connector for the fuel sending unit and guess what lit up when I turned the key? That's right... the low fuel light came right up. Plugged it back into the sending unit and.... no light. [sm=headbang.gif]The best part is that my fuel gauge itself still works without a problem but the guy at the dealership tells me that there are two different circuits in there.Sounds like this thing needs to be replaced. The dealership wants about $90 for the sending unit. Is this too high? Is it a part that I am able to get somewhere else around town? I don't know that I'm that interested in having that light to pay that much money to repair it. Also, how difficult is it to replace the part? I already know how to get to it from jumping the pins, but how difficult is the actual removal of the part and installation of the new one? Thanks!

Old 10-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Fuel Sending Unit

The low fuel light is controlled by the fuel sending unit. It isn't too hard to replace, that information would be in a haynes manual.

Mine has the same problem, and I decided not to replace the sending unit since the fuel gauge works properly.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Botones95
Unregistered
Default RE: Fuel Sending Unit

Is this a part that you have to buy through the dealer? I haven't been able to come across it yet at any auto parts stores and all of the junk yards I have talked to will not sell it without selling the entire fuel pump assembly. Im would like to have this fixed but not if it is going to cost $90 to do so. Thanks.