General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Funny Noise coming from rear

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 10:36 PM
XONE
Unregistered
Default Funny Noise coming from rear

Ok guys hopefully someone here has had a similar problem as mine. I have an '01 accord, baught it used in '04 and never really had an issue with it till now. Lately its been making a scraping sound from the rear of the vehicle. It seems to be coming from the right rear wheel. I cant pin point it exactly because it only does it when the car is moving. It doesnt necesarily do it when I brake, sometimes it does, but it does it more when the vehicle is in motion. The noise is like something scraping or grinding in the rear of the vehicle. Also when I reverse into my driveway the noise changes into sort of a humming sound, dont know if they are related but they are both extremly loud. I take prety good care of this car so im sure its not negligence and i hope its just somthing to do with preventive maintanence. Just wanted to see if anyone had any opinions before I took it to a mechanic and got the run-around from them and not fixing the problem. Hopefully somebody here has had a similar problem so i can fix it because its driving me crazzy!

Old 07-19-2006, 10:54 PM
Default RE: Funny Noise coming from rear

this is just a total guess, but maybe it could be break related???? Id just pop ur tires off and check the rotors for any serious damage, i could be totally off on this but thats my 2 cents.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:35 AM

In response to "Funny Noise coming from rear."

IT COULD JUST BE GAS ??!!?? [sm=joke.gif][sm=joke.gif]

Sorry, couldn't resist.

It does sound like brakes. I had a similar problem. It was the rear brakes. The noise changes pitch and intensity if you back up, turn, or brake.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:03 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yep definately brakes. get it done quick you dont want to ruin anything.

if you have drums, then you probably need new shoes

if you have rotors, you probably need new pads, and they are really easy to check. pull out your trusty jack, take that tire off and visually inspect the pads to make sure that there is plenty of material left.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:24 AM
XONE
Unregistered

LOL Yea I knew after I saw the post that someone would reply something like that! Guess I had that coming. But I was suspecting the brakes originally, but what kind of damage would be there? Ive never owned a car long enough to have to replace the brakes. Can anyone describe the damage I should be looking for? I can see I guess what would be the rotors from just looking in trough the wheels and they look like they have always looked like since i got the car. And if I do need to replace them does anyone know of any good type of brake systems out there? As far as aftermarket? I dont race my car and id really prefer something more along the lines of performance in everyday driving versus racing. I was originally planing on upgrading the brakes in order to add bigger wheels once my brakes went out so I guess the time has come. Maybe 18" or 19".

Old 07-20-2006, 05:38 AM

if the brakes are cool. then take your fingernail and run it inside to outside. if you can feel groves, or if you can visually see signs of scoring, then you will need new rotors.

94-97 models are great, the back brakes will spit the pad out and the piston wont extend far enough to contact the rotor. your car might be the same. chances are that the rotor is salvagable. it probably needs to just get turned. which is about 10 bucks a rotor. honda pads are always recommended, but i know that not everybody has alot of money. the new raybestos quiet stop ceramics are really nice they dont squeek at all. and they are about 30 bucks. i dont really think the honda pads are that much more than that though.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:46 PM
XONE
Unregistered

Ok so I took my wheel off today and on the right rear wheel there was no sighn of grooves or damage, but I did find a freekin nail in my tire! I also took a look at my left rear wheel and found a linear groove all around the rotor. I wonder if that is the cullprit. I dont really know what theese parts do so could you maybe explain how they work? As far as the rotor, pads, calipers,ect.... All the parts of a braking system.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:12 PM

The rotor is what the pads "squeeze" to stop you. When you put your foot on the brake, it applies hydraulic pressure to the braking system. This pressure causes a piston(s) in the caliper(s) to push on the pads and the pads press against the rotor(s). The pads are held in place by the caliper, one on each side of the rotor.

[<|>]

[] = Caliper
<> = pads
| = rotor

Old 07-20-2006, 10:02 PM

yep and if you see a groove in the rotor its probably toast. if your not savvy with brakes it would probably be a good idea to take it in. its going to be about 500 dollars, if you let it go further though, it can double or triple

Old 07-29-2006, 02:43 PM
XONE
Unregistered

Ok well i took it to the dealership finally and found out it that scraping sound was just like an early warning system for the brakes. They were not bad yet and it was $170 to change em out for anybody else that might have this question later on. Thanks for everyones input.