General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Fuse Blowing

Old 08-13-2013, 10:26 PM
Default Fuse Blowing

I'm working on my sisters 2000 Honda Accord. Recently her vanity mirror light quit working. Also her odometer back light and temp control back light went out (not at the same time). So being the nice brother I took
apart her dash and replaced the burned out bulb. I also replaced the temp control light. I just saw that there is a clock bulb burned out (I ordered one on ebay). I also took a look at the vanity light and saw that the fuses were fine (non burned out). So I put everything back together and started up the car. Everything worked fine for about 10 min then all of a sudden I checked the vanity mirror and then the lights went out. So I tracked it to a fuse a 10amp that says "Small Lights" I replaced the fuse and then again fuse blew. So I made sure it was the correct fuse which it is and now I have no clue.

Everything had been working fine (well minus the 2 bulbs I replaced and the vanity lights haven't worked for a long time). So I took everything apart and made sure the connectors were attached properly. I followed the cables as for as I could behind the dash.

I replaced the fuse and this time I didn't touch the vanity lights and just adjusted the dimmer on dash and after a few min it blew again. I read that sometime it could be the license plate light so I disconnected it and replaced the fuse and it blew again.

Needless so say she's not too happy with me but I have no idea what to do. Is there something with the vanity? So right now she can't drive her car at night since she can't see anything on dash.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 08-14-2013, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

What trim level is your sister's Accord (e.g., LX, EX, etc.)? In addition, sedan or coupe?

It sounds like a short somewhere with the Red/Blk wire which supplies power for illumination.

Any aftermarket radio, electronic accessory, smart phone power adapter or something plugged into cigarette lighter?

Last edited by redbull-1; 08-14-2013 at 01:25 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:23 PM

It's an EX

Sedan

Nothing aftermarket. (still stock radio, no phone adapters nothing plugged into cigarette lighter)

Old 08-14-2013, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

An area of a possible short is the wire connector for the sunvisor vanity mirror. It could be caused by a loose connector cover on the wire to one of the sunvisor vanity mirrors. To check it, remove the sunvisor, and look at the end of the RED/BLK vanity mirror wire.

Attached Thumbnails Fuse Blowing-vanity-mirror-ligjht-connector.jpg  
Old 12-19-2016, 02:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Both Vanity Mirrors Stopped Working

Originally Posted by redbull-1
An area of a possible short is the wire connector for the sunvisor vanity mirror. It could be caused by a loose connector cover on the wire to one of the sunvisor vanity mirrors. To check it, remove the sunvisor, and look at the end of the RED/BLK vanity mirror wire.
I have a similar issue. I have a 2000 Accord EX-R and the passenger side vanity lights worked no problem but the driver's side did not. So I thought it was an issue with just the driver's side visor/vanity. So the next day I went to troubleshoot and the driver's side started working when I flipped the mirror cover up, but I noticed that if I moved it slightly the lights would go out or flicker. So when I flipped the cover as open as it would go, the lights stayed on. So today I went and replaced all 4 bulbs with LEDs and after a couple tests of flipping up the driver's side mirror cover, the lights stopped working on BOTH visors. They flickered at first and now both sides are out. I replaced the LEDs with the originals (all were working before), and not both vanity lights on the driver and passenger side do not work. I also disconnected the driver's side mirror from the roof and the plug looks fine. What could be the problem?

UPDATE:
Seems like a bigger issue. Now the dash lights and tail lights will not turn on when I turn on the headlights. Could it be a MCU issue??

Last edited by badlt; 12-19-2016 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Updated
Old 12-19-2016, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

I'd start by checking the fuses.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:42 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I'd start by checking the fuses.
Yes, it seemed to be the "small lights fuse 7.5) as it was blown. Not sure why, but I replaced it and everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks!

Old 12-22-2016, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like there was/is a loose connection in the light - you stated the "flickered" at certain points. At one of those points, I'd bet that is when it blew the fuse.

Keep an eye on it and if it acts up again you might have to dig deeper into the wires to see if one has a "rub" or something causing it to short out.

For now, glad it is all working.