General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Gen7 has spark and fuel but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 06:21 PM
Default Gen7 has spark and fuel but won't start

My 2003 Accord EX 2.4L has 154k miles and typically runs like a champ. Last week it suddenly stalled out while driving and would not start again. I towed it home, did some troubleshooting, and ended up putting in a new battery, plugs, alternator, and starter. I failed to read any codes before removing the old battery, so I have absolutely no help there. The motor cranks over smoothly and quietly now but sounds like no attempts to fire. The immobilizer light goes off after the initial 2 seconds - so that should be all good. The check engine light and oil pressure light come on as expected. The charging light never comes on at all. This is a little worrisome since the manual indicates it should come on when the key is on, and the light was working before I put in the new battery. One at a time, I pulled each plug, plugged it back into the wire, grounded it, cranked the motor: all four result in spark and a whiff of fuel. I've rechecked every fuse, a whole mess of ground connections, and injector resistances... but I have not checked any relays beyond removal, visual inspection, and replacement.

I've scoured this and other forums, but still having no luck.

How can I have spark and fuel but no fire? This makes absolutely no sense to me and is driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If you have spark and fuel your next step is to check timing. I'm assuming the battery and connections are indeed good. It might be the chain has broke or timing is off but being that you car just immediately stopped while driving the chain might be broke. At 154k that should not happen unless oil changes were not done when they were suppose to or maybe your car might be one of the few that has a premature break.

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 10-14-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

The engine computer should retain any codes even after replacing the battery. Try scanning for codes.

I was also confused with your post. Did anything change with your no-start after replacing the battery and alternator?

Old 10-14-2018, 09:29 PM

I was driving chill going 35 with windows down and the radio off - it just went from cruising along to stalling out, the dashlights blinking wildly. I would think if the chain failed that i would hear SOMETHING.

I checked for codes but there are none. I just have a cheap accutron but I wouldn’t think that matters.

The battery was on it’s way out since winter - bad cell.
New battery - no change.
The plugs fired, but were past their prime.
New plugs - no change.
Realized that the starter was only cranking at about 75 rpm.
Removed starter and alternator - bench tested at AZ.
New starter and alternator - no change.

Thanks!

Old 10-14-2018, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by jerome1970
I was driving chill going 35 with windows down and the radio off - it just went from cruising along to stalling out, the dashlights blinking wildly. I would think if the chain failed that i would hear SOMETHING.

I checked for codes but there are none. I just have a cheap accutron but I wouldn’t think that matters.

The battery was on it’s way out since winter - bad cell.
New battery - no change.
The plugs fired, but were past their prime.
New plugs - no change.
Realized that the starter was only cranking at about 75 rpm.
Removed starter and alternator - bench tested at AZ.
New starter and alternator - no change.

Thanks!
Ok I'm getting the picture now that you added dash flickering. Is there anything else that happened that you noticed. On some occasions you hear noise and some you don't depending on if the chain broke or something in the timing area broke. Many variables.

You said your dash started flashing. At that point I would look at the alternator but a good alternator is not needed for your car to crank or turn over if your battery is good. Double check your battery is indeed charged. If charged I would focus on timing.

I'm not saying timing is your issue just throwing an option out there since you are stumped. It is a viable cause to your issue so don't over look it.

Last edited by Seanjordan20; 10-14-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:27 PM

A friend also reminded me that i should check the 3rd factor for fire: air. I’ll look into mass airflow sensor, and timing next.

I appriciate the feedback.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:52 PM

That is also something god to look at. Hopefully it is a sensor.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:46 AM

Last night I removed the valve cover and verified that the timing chain, guides, and tensioner seem to be good. The only way the timing could be off mechanically is if the chain slipped, right? That doesn't seem likely, but tonight I'll have a helper, so I'll get everything lined up at TDC and check to make sure that didn't happen.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:52 PM

Finally got back to this project.

The motor is in sad shape. The timing chain must have jumped somehow because I can't get the marks to line up. No compression - even when all valves on a given cylinder appear to be closed. I can't justify the cost of parts nor time/money for the work, given the age and condition of the body.

Anybody need parts?

Last edited by jerome1970; 11-06-2018 at 08:14 AM.