General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

get accord to start from sitting 5 years

Old 02-23-2017, 04:28 PM
Default get accord to start from sitting 5 years

Battery is still connected. I will disconnect. Should I purchase used battery? Is there a battery that is reliable?Do I drain the old gas. Hub says this car will not start. Help! I really
need to prove him wrong. What else should I do?

Old 02-23-2017, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

It'll be useful for us to know what year Accord. What engine & transmission.

What does it do exactly?
- Turn key and absolutely nothing?
- Turn key and engine cranks but won't fire?
- Other observations?
- If you didn't try yet, read down first.

Shoulda put fuel stabilizer in when you parked it - won't do much good now.

If battery looks OK, maybe it can be charged. Got a battery charger? Or take it to someplace like AutoZone where they will charge & test it. I bet they do it for free, hoping you'll buy a battery from them.

Turn the key ON but don't turn all the way to START. Listen for the fuel pump to run for 2 seconds then turn off (same time as check-engine light). If it does, that's a good sign that the fuel pump hasn't rusted away in the tank.

Check the oil level. Is it all black & sludgy? If so, change it but be prepared to change it again after a very short time.

Then what I would do is disable the fuel pump and remove the spark plugs. Crank the starter to circulate the oil (maybe 20 seconds) without any chance of actually starting the engine. How to disable the fuel pump depends on what year - usually pulling a fuse out.

The fuel tank has a little drain plug, but it's usually all covered in undercoating and/or rust. But the bigger risk is the inside of the fuel tank is rusty and fresh fuel will just stir that up.

If the engine runs, you can warm it up then change the oil. Then deal with dry-rotted tires and/or anything else that isn't related to the engine. It might run crappy until you get rid of most of the stale fuel.