General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

grinding? noise. Suggestions please...

Old 09-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Default grinding? noise. Suggestions please...

Hey guys, have a question about a noise that I'm guessing is coming from my transmission. Though any suggestions are helpful. I know this sort of thing is kind of hard to diagnose without actually seeing/hearing, but here goes:

I've got a 96 LX, in the past it made a popping noise when I'd let off the gas. Now the car is lowered and has taken quite a few scrapes and has catback exhaust, so my natural first thought was that it was exhaust noise. Well, it doesn't make this particular noise any longer, however, now it makes a noise much like a blender. it only does this when the car is in O/D and I let completely off the gas. No problem in 1 2 or 3. Shifts cleanly. Only have a problem when the car actually gets into OD and I let off the gas. Trans fluid was low but by no means dangerously low. It is using transmission fluid some, though. As long as I put it in neutral before taking my foot off the gas, I won't get the noise. thus my conclusion is that I'm having a transmission problem. Any thoughts?

Thanks so much,
Josh

Old 09-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Default RE: grinding? noise. Suggestions please...

Anyone? I don't care if it ends up being wrong, it's not like I'm going to try to fix it myself anyway. I am just ready to sell this car and will need to have it fixed first and am wondering if this is something that will take a little money or a lot of money to fix. I know auto trans are not a low-dough subject, but am hoping that there is just something within the transmission that might need to be replaced as opposed to the whole thing going bad.