General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding Sound When Braking

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 12:06 PM
Default Grinding Sound When Braking

I have a really bad grinding sound when I am braking. I checked the front breaks and rotors and noticed both axles needed to be replaced. I replaced them thinking this was the source of the grinding sound. The rotors are smooth and the breaks are still thick enough I think to not need replacement.

The grinding sound can be heard when I drive at speeds below 30 MPH.

What might I the neophyte mechanic might have missed?

Car: 1997 Honda Civic LX four doors.

Thanks, in advance

Old 05-01-2017, 01:41 PM

Upon further inspection it was the back part of the driver side front brake. The part difficult to see towards the engine for the beginner mechanics. I replaced the rotor on the driver side only. Because of the uneven wear I wonder if I have drag and something else is failing?

Old 05-01-2017, 01:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by lindylex
Upon further inspection it was the back part of the driver side front brake. The part difficult to see towards the engine for the beginner mechanics. I replaced the rotor on the driver side only. Because of the uneven wear I wonder if I have drag and something else is failing?
What I've found in the last couple of Honda brake jobs that I've done, is rust gets under the stainless steel sliders, and that you need to grind a little off the tab of the pads, so it slides nice and smooth in the caliper mounting brackets. I only mention it, as I've run into it on 2 Hondas and a Toyota. I don't know if it's the pad maker or what, but they seem to be off just a little bit.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies

According to the provided pictures, your brake shoes are completely gone. The metal part is the holding plate which is not supposed to make contact with your brake rotors. All brake shoes come equipped with pre-warning indicator which make noise by rubbing against the brake rotor at a pre-determined wear level. Here is the basic of brake system maintenance.

Always replace brake rotors, calipers, or shoes in pairs.

i.e. If the left front needs replaced, you should also replace the right front and vice
versa.

i.e. If the left rear needs replaced, you should also replace the right rear and vice versa.

I would check your rotors and see whether they need to be replaced also. An easy indication of this w/o looking is your car shaking when applied brakes at high speed.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

The brake pad isn't being released from the brake rotor. You will need to figure out why.

I would use a wire brush under the stainless steel clips to remove built up rust. If you use a file to grind the metal, you can get rattling in your brakes that will get annoying. The pads should slide back and forth with slight resistance.

The slide pins on your caliper could be binding up. Remove each slide pin, clean off the old grease with a rag, then use silicone paste to lubricate the slide pins. Regular grease dries up and can deteriorate the rubber boots.

Did the caliper piston push back into the caliper easily?

Old 06-27-2017, 01:21 PM

Thanks everyone for the help. I replaced the rotors, brakes and calipers. All is well now.