General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

has anyone ever seen/used this intake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 07:51 PM
pyrogeek
Unregistered
Default RE: has anyone ever seen/used this intake?

i didnt think it would be mounted that far low...
i live in south florida and with all the road construction and rain we get (or will be getting), i would not be the least bit comfortable driving with that.
i've read somewhere that they sell special parts for cold air intakes that prevent hydrolocking. do these inhibit performance and do they really work.
and finally is water the only concern with a CAI or an SRI or is road debri a worry too?

p.s. j_man i love your car. its amazing.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:54 PM

Thank you pyrogeek. Maybe if u put some mesh grill in the opening of your bumper it would deflect rain, debris while still allowing air to flow.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Yeah, plus the air would be more streamlined.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:46 PM

ok, lets think about this. the piping is only on that one side so the only air that would get in would be closest to that side. most of it would hit the other side and bounce off, not get sucked in. you can tell this would happen because the whole front it open, and not focused on channeling the air at all. i could see your point if the piping was in back of the filter part, narrowing down to the piping, thus having a "ram air effect" as is the point of the product. but, it is not.

dont be fooled and think this is some super-secret intake. it's been around the block a few times and if it was any good, for the price, it would be way more popular. if you want a good intake with great flow, get any CAI or SRI and stick an Apexi air filter on it. that is dyno proven to be effective, cant say the same for this one.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:20 PM

SRI and CAI don't generate most of their added HP due to airflow, it's the resonance that it creates that improves airflow.... Based on that the front air intake may generate more airflow but it's not going to produce as much HP

Old 05-18-2007, 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

SRI and CAI don't generate most of their added HP due to airflow, it's the resonance that it creates that improves airflow.... Based on that the front air intake may generate more airflow but it's not going to produce as much HP
by which you mean the path it takes? aka a smoother, less restrictive, wider path? all of this is useless, even detrimental to engine performance if the exhaust system hasnt been altered to compensate.