General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Seats Cut off after a few minutes

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 07:31 AM
Question Heated Seats Cut off after a few minutes

I recently purchased a Honda Accord 2009 EX-L and I have a question about the heated seats!

The heated seat on the driver side has 2 settings; Lo and Hi

on Lo: It does not feel like the seat is heating (no change in temperature)
on Hi: The seat gets warm, but after about 5 to 10 minutes, the heating cuts off and the seat returns to normal temperature, the heating does not kick in till I switch it off, wait for a few minutes and then turn it back on.

I have not tried with passenger side seats (but on one occasion that I tried, the passenger said, heated seat did not cut off...however, passenger did not keep the test for a long time!)

Is this correct behavior?

Thank you

Old 05-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds normal, just need to understand how they work and how to use.

The way the heated seat works is:

Push the right side of the switch to HI, to rapidly heat up the seat. After the seat reaches a comfortable temperature, select LO by pushing the left side of the switch. This will keep the seat warm.

In the HI setting, the heater turns off when the seat gets warm, and turns back on after the temperature drops.

In the LO setting, the heater runs continuously. It does not cycle with temperature changes.

Follow these precautions when you use the seat heater:

• Use the HI setting only to heat the seat quickly, because it draws a large amount of current from the battery.
  • Even the engine is left idling for an extended period, do not use the seat heaters even on the LO setting. It can weaken the battery and cause hard starting.

Attached Thumbnails Heated Seats Cut off after a few minutes-seat-heaters.jpg  
Old 05-15-2012, 08:51 PM

Thanks so much for the answer. I will keep your tips in mind!
BTW I went on a real long drive and on HI the heater does cut in and out!

Looks like it works (I'm just paranoid and don't trust the dealers!)

Old 10-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Default 2012 Seat Heaters

I recently purchased a 2012 Accord SE and have a similar experience where the drivers seat rarely gets hot on high. On low, the heater does not seem to work at all.

I had heated seats on my previous car and they used to get nice and warm on high. In my opinion the heated seats are either terribly inadequate or they are broken. I checked them with an IR thermometer and it reads about 92 on high, not very warm. I plan on bringing it into service and have them look at it.

I have chronic lower back problems and bought this model for its heated seats. So far, I am a little disappointed.