General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with 86 accord... PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 10:52 PM
fotosoup
Unregistered
Default help with 86 accord... PLEASE!

Ok, so I have spent the last week researching on this forum as well as others and going over and over again the shop manual diagrams of the car system... but I still have no idea what is causing my problem!

so, basically this is my issue... my throttle is being opened by something. and holds it at around 3,000rpm and wont go down... It does this intermittently... usually when i first start the car after it has been sitting overnight or while i am at work. sometimes i can give it a little gas and it drops back down...

1. Vaccum, nothing that controls throttle speed by vaccum appears to be malfunctioning (at least no the a/c thing, (dont have ac) or the high idle diaphram thing (the screw isn't pusing the throttle open))..
2. Sticking nothing mechanically outside the car is sticking.. soaked all the throttle body linkage aswell as the little arm on the opposite side in wd40, and everything moves freely
3. something must be opening my throttle, but what?

aside from that when it's not doing it it is idleing at 1250 cold and 750 warm! so ....

I don't want to keep driving it this way because it is destroying my clutch (dropping the clutch from 3k all the way to and from work etc).. it's eating fuel like mad AND when i shut the car off I have to stall it, otherwise it will diesel for several minutes!

HELP!?

Old 11-24-2006, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: help with 86 accord... PLEASE!

There is a fast idle let down on the passenger side of the carb, back that screw all the way off. Then with the top off and the vacum ports on the passenger side of the carb pluged off and engine cold, you can test the choke pull off on the top left of the carb as you face it. Pinch the vacum line or lines going to it and the choke plate should pull open. if not replace the choke pull off diaphram.
The throttle plate rod may have worn the carb body and not have smooth action anymore. Get a can of Berrymans B-12 and spray clean the rod that goes thru the bottom of the carb as best as you can.

Old 11-27-2006, 03:51 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: help with 86 accord... PLEASE!

chk to make sure you got vacc at idle at throttle diaphram,, vacc is needed to pull it off, ........disconnect the hose that goes to throttle diaphram, chk to see if there is any vacc at the hose ( # 6 ?? , been a loooong time since i worked on 1 of those ) ,, if no vacc , apply vacc to diaphram with a vacc pump and see if idle goes down, ,,,,,,,,if that 's your problem , you can do a cheap fix and apply vacc to the throttle from another source ( # 2 hose that goes to distr adv unit ), just splice a tee and another hose into it ,,

let us know ..