General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Car stalls at a light.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 08:19 AM
NexusUA
Unregistered
Default HELP! Car stalls at a light.

Hey I have a '98 Accord LX ( 4cyl), i've had it for about 6 monthes now with no problems whatsoever( there was only one previous owner and she took really good care of the car) but lately i've started to loose rpms at lights and stops and now the car just stalls at lights. Also my low beams dont work, i changed the bulbs and the fuses but no help. Any sugestions? Could these two issues be related?

Old 08-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: HELP! Car stalls at a light.

Make sure that spark plugs, wires, air filter, etc are in good shape.

Stop by an autozone and have them check the engine codes and post any here. They will be P####.

The idle air control valve controls the rpms at idle. Carbon can buildup in it and you might be able to clean it. Try misting throttle body cleaner into the port outside of the throttle plate to clean out any crap in the IAC while the car is running. If you spray too much in there, the fluid will block all air from entering the engine and cause the engine to stall. Clean both sides of the throttle plate as well using the TB cleaner, an old toothbrush, and a rag.