General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help! The dealership broke my AC!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Help! The dealership broke my AC!

I can't teach you AC repair via the forum. It requires some self study. There is a good Haynes AC manual or Mastercool AC manual. I think both are available from ackits.com and other sources. Another good source of information is simply reading about AC problems on autoacforum.com. Lots of practical tips and procedures are also available at that site. Read these and some trial/error experience and you will be an AC wizard, compared to most shade tree mechanics. I started by myself some 25 years ago and made a lot of mistakes, but generally managed to get the job done. Once you learn this skill, you'll never be bamboozled by some shop about auto AC, as I've seen happen to many folks.

good luck

Old 08-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I can recommend an 8 week intro course by Trane. The 16 book set makes a great reference for me to explain things to others.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:19 PM

Well put. Thanks for all the advice!

Old 09-05-2008, 01:40 PM

Well I finally broke down and had a shop do the repair. I checked the hoses the other night and saw more oil loss and decided I would just pay for the repair and not run the risk of the compressor burning out (real or imagined).

The next day I took the car to Tripp's on Kingsland in Houston and they took a look and said that the shaft seal on the compressor was leaking heavily, confirming the first Honda dealership's diagnosis. At this point my heart sank but I was soon cheered up when they said they could have a new OEM compressor, not remanufactured, installed and the system charged for $650! Most shops in town charge $1200 for the job! I was also really impressed with the quality of the help, they had me in and out in just under two hours. I will definetly keep going to there for my Auto care.

I had them give me the old compressor. I want to rembuild it so I have a spare. The shop did not know where I could find a rebuild kit or even a shaft seal. Anyone know where I can find one?

Through this ordeal I have learned several things including a good bit about the AC system on my accord. Most importantly I learned that the two closest dealerships have heavily inflated prices and poor service. I thank all the gurus again for all their support. I do plan on doing this repair myself in the future.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I have found ackits.com to have compressor shaft seals.

Shaft seal installation can be tricky, depending on the type of seal. If it's the externally installed seal (likely) that slides down the shaft, you need atube to protect the seal as it slides and to insure the seal is positioned (flap in correct direction). I found that a thin section of 1-L soft drink bottle plastic can be rolled to make anoverlappingtube that works fine. Lube w/ oil to ease movement. Note, I did this after damaging my first seal trying to force down the shaft,...a $25 mistake.

good luck

Old 09-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

I got a shaft seal from ackits.com