General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help!!! No Lights!!!- [Solved]

Old 12-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

You can do what PAhonda suggested to make sure which of the Red/Grn wires pins 2 or 5 is getting power. But, it sounds like pin 2 is getting power. Report your results.

Here's what I was just writing up based on your previous post.

Okay, that means power is not get through the taillight relay to feed the lights.

The Red/Grn wire in the middle is probably pin 2 , which should have power coming from Passenger Side Underdash Fuse 10 (10A) at all times. Sounds like that wiring and connection is okay since you’ve gotten a voltage reading. Just for kicks to make sure the Red/Grn wire you got power is really at pin 2, check that fuse; but, in all likely hood it is okay.

Further diagnosis:
1. The Red/Grn at the end is probably pin 5, which comes from the Driver’s MICU. This should have power when the ignition is turned on. However, sounds like there is no power. So, our next step would be to check for power along the wiring and connections coming from the Driver’s MICU. There is a 22-P Green connector (Connector C204 located behind passenger side fuse box cover) where the Red/Grn power wire runs through between the tail-light relay and the MICU. Visually check the wiring and connector at C204 first for anything obviously wrong. Check for power (+) by backprobing the Red/Grn wire on both sides of the connectors at Connector C204 (do each check individually). There should be power with the combination light switch on.
2. If no voltage reading at C204, we move on to check for power coming from the Driver’s MICU. The Driver’s MICU is located on the driver’s side, since you already replaced that before, you know the location. Connected to the MICU should be 2 connectors (Connector A and Connector B). Connector B is the green 22P connector. Check for power (+) by backprobing the Red/Grn wire at Connector B (terminal 16) with the combination light switch on.

Last edited by redbull-1; 01-12-2014 at 04:06 PM. Reason: image removed
Old 12-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

This is some info. regarding how power is passed through the relay.

On your EX, for the small lights to work, they need to receive voltage coming through the tail-light relay (a relay is basically a type of switch) to feed those lights.

The tail-light relay is a normally-open type relay. (When the relay is in the open state, no power is allowed through to the small lights. When it is closes, power is allowed through to the small lights.) This relay has 4 terminals. When power (Red/Grn wire coming from MICU) and ground (Red/Yel wire coming from headlight switch) are connected to relay terminals 3 and 4, this energizes the relay, to close the relay and allows power from terminal 2 (Red/Grn wire coming from Fuse 10) to go through the relay and out terminal 1 to the Red/Blk wire to feed the small lights.

When you turn the headlight switch to on (Headlights or Parking lights on), the headlight switch supplies the necessary ground (coming from ground location G401) to energize the relay.

Last edited by redbull-1; 12-07-2013 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Just an added side note guys, I did perform a continuity check with a test light on both driver and passenger fuse boxes. Test light connected to a ground checked both terminals on all fuses. The results being that there was continuity at all fuses except for the starter and one other that obviously should not have power unless you were starting the car. Hope that is helpful in some type of way.

Old 12-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Let us know about the copper vs regular metal on the relay.

For your continuity, your test light was lit for all of the fuses except two. On those two fuses, did the test light turn on for one post and not the other? Can you give us some more information on those two fuses?

Old 12-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The two fuses that did not light were, drivers side fuse panel fuse #11 ignition coil and passenger side fuse panel fuse #14 ABS MTR CHK. However, Redbull-1, when I went to check C204 the 22 pin connector, it has been right in face the whole time. I found it to be partially corroded on both male and female ends! I undid the connector and found the inside partially corroded and what appeared to be one or two of the pins broken off inside the opposite side! I know, I know....this is the part you guys say "WE TOLD YOU SO", and you guys did. I have been working on cars for more years then I care to admit to have made such a mistake. Especially when my friends or other people come to me for help with diagnosing their cars. I'm always the one telling them it isn't always something big, and that there is usually a sequence of checking things to discover the problem. I would like to extend a very big "THANK YOU" to all who helped with this WheelBrokerAng, poorman212, and especially PAhonda and Redbull-1!!! I will locate a new or used connector and make the repair and post the results. One last question, and it may have already been answered, the turn signals work but the hazard light DO NOT. Is this also the cause of that issue?

Old 12-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Connector C204 was only mentioned in my post #21 just now; after you posted the results of the testing I suggested. Glad you found what should be the issue for the small lights.

For the turn signals and hazards not working (for example: blinking), that may be a different issue. If they don't blink, it may be the turn signal/hazard relay or the hazard switch. Both can be tested. (The turn signal/hazard relay is located in the rear of the driver's under-dash fuse relay box.)

The Red/Blk wire from the tail-light relay only supplies power to light up the warning switch on the dash, not make the hazards blink. In addition, the Red/Blk wire to the turn signals and parking lights are only to turn on the parking lights and side marker when the headlight switch is turned on (headlight or parking lights), not make them blink.

Last edited by redbull-1; 12-16-2013 at 05:00 PM. Reason: image removed
Old 12-08-2013, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Glad you are making progress.

Since the turn signals work, the turn signal/hazard relay is working.

Start simple and check that the wht/grn wire going to the hazard switch has 12V to ground. Just pry/pull the hazard switch and unplug to check.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:08 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I will test tomorrow, to cold outside now, I'm im Detroit. Again though, the turn signals DO work, the hazard lights however, DO NOT work. Its a little weird because usually, or at least in my experience, if the hazard light didnt work, neither would the turn signals. Anyway, I will test that tomorrow. Thank you again!

Old 12-08-2013, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

I must have missed the part regarding the turn signal working. PAhonda is correct on that.

I just looked at the circuit diagram for the hazard switch, the White/Grn wire coming from under-hood Fuse 49 (15A) runs through the same C204 connector; so, if you fix all the wiring at that connector, it will probably fix the hazard.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks guys, problem solved! Had to get a new 22P connector and transfer all wires and had to splice 3 or 4 that had corroded badly. All dash lights now work properly. But unfortunately, now the tachometer and the temp gauges DO NOT work. I have went back and rechecked all wiring and fuses and all appears to be fine. Any suggestions?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help!!! No Lights!!!- [Solved]