General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help!!! No Lights!!!- [Solved]

Old 11-29-2013, 06:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Also, if the hazard light switch is bad, will that cause the afore mentioned problems.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

A faulty hazard switch by itself will not cause all the lighting issue you have. You may or may not have an issue with the hazard switch.

On your EX, you have a tail light relay located on the passenger side. Power for a lot of various lighting issues you mentioned has to run through this relay. If you have a voltmeter, you can test a few wires there to diagnose to narrow down the area of issue(s). You will want to backprobe a few wires. Backprobing is either using a backprobe set or using a thin needle or something and making contact with the metal terminal of the connector without piercing the wire in the back of the still connected connector. Care must be taken to ensure that the wiring does not get damaged. You can use something like a T pin, available at Walmart, etc., and backprobe. These pictures are just to give a picture of the concept of backprobing without piercing any wires.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...%5D-t-pins-jpg

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...back-probe-jpg
  1. At the tail light relay (with it stilled plugged in), with the voltmeter’s black lead touching chassis/body metal ground, use the voltmeter’s red lead to backprobe the Red/Blk wire at the tail light relay. There should be voltage at the Red/Blk wire with the combination light switch turned on (i.e., parking lights or headlights on). (Red/Blk wire should be a wire with red color insulation and a blk stripe.)
  2. If no voltage in above procedure;, with the voltmeter’s black lead touching chassis/body metal ground, use the voltmeter’s red lead to backprobe the Red/Grn wires at the taillight relay with the combination light switch on. There will actually be two separate Red/Grn wires there, one Red/Grn wire (terminal connector 2 pin) is coming from Fuse 10 in the passenger fuse box, the other Red/Grn wire (terminal connector 5 pin) will be coming from the driver’s multiplex control unit. There should be voltage.
You results will give indication whether the problem is:
  • taillight relay
  • Wiring or connection before or after the relay
We can go further from there afterward.

Last edited by redbull-1; 01-12-2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: image removed
Old 11-29-2013, 09:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

thank you, will try this tomorrow. the tail light relay is located where exactly. I removed the panel on the pass. side and saw no relay. There is a small box under the hood to the left of the fuse box, is that it?

Old 11-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

It's inside the cabin on the passenger side. See my previous post for an actual photo of the area.

Here is an illustration of the area.

Last edited by redbull-1; 01-12-2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: image removed
Old 12-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies

checked taillight relay and changed it, still no dash lights

Old 12-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

My info. was to test a few wires there to diagnose to narrow down the area of issue(s) by backprobing the wires; not replace that relay without the test results. The test I wrote previously was to help diagnosis. If you perform the tests and reported the results, I could give you more info. to help track down the problem.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

We suggest tests, but you never report your results. Unplug the hazard switch. Check that the wht/grn wire going to the hazard switch has 12V to ground.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

We really want to try to help you; but, you have to work with us and post any test results. The problem could be a wire connection, wiring, etc. You can't always just throw parts at it to try to resolve a problem, as it can get expensive and may not result in a fix.

Here's a few examples, where the fix was not a part per se that needed replacement; but, due to wiring that needed a little repair.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...D-57334/page3/

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...g-55823/page3/

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...hts-out-52915/

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...a-55421/page8/

Last edited by redbull-1; 12-06-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Redbull-1 & PAhonda, my apologies! I value you all and the help you are providing. I did jump through a couple of steps. That being said, I performed the test at the taillight relay and I am only getting voltage on the red/grn wire in the middle. No voltage is present on the other red/grn and no voltage at the red/blk wire. What's next.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

If you unplug that relay, there should be two copper-colored pins (high current circuit) and two regular metal pins (low current circuit). Tell us which pin is getting power (copper vs regular) from the red/grn wire.

The reason I ask, is that I only have a wiring diagram and two wire colors are the same.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help!!! No Lights!!!- [Solved]