General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Help! Overheating... Warning:lots of reading

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Exclamation Help! Overheating... Warning:lots of reading

Ok so Ive got 96 Accord lx, I bought this car for 800 buks from someone who didnt know why it was overheating, after looking at the oil looked ok, ran idling for 30 mins without the temp gauge hardly moving then drove less then a mile down the road an was overheating, parked it, towed it to the garage.....

After having the garage look at it (which btw was the worst garage ive ever dealt with) they said that they broke the motor down an seen the headgasket was blown but that they dont like to mess with hondas...

Sooo... after debating on what to do seeing that after looking at the motor afterwards there was no way these guys took that engine apart so having to wait a couple of days i had no choice at that point to drive an drive it 3 miles down the road...doin this an a mile into it the car shuts off an smoke is pouring but not outta the tail pipe all from the top...the garage emptied my radiator an didnt put anything back in it....

So assuming the garage was still right I researched for days on best thing to do with no possible way of having a new motor or head replaced, I found this stuff called Thermagasket

So before using this I changed the thermostat an found out that their was oil filling up the spark plugs an burnt the wires to the point i had to clean out each tube......replaced spark plugs, an wires.....
Now the instructions for the thermogasket are to pretty much flush your radiator (which mine was already bone dry) an fill it up leaving enough for 12oz then add the thermogasket soulution, now run the car for 15 to 20 mins at freeway speeds or if not capable of driving run at 2,000 to 3,00 rpms
did everything to exact an symptoms seemed to be better afterwards except.....
now their is no smoke at all but this after finding out the thermostat was not opening so doing as the instructions said taking the thermostat out an running the steps is best results...did this but car still reading overheating an eventually shuts off, after car shut off for the last time i checked everything again, oil is still dark spark plugs an wires are fine besides filling up with oil, an no smoke, last but least check the radiator one last time while running an BAM!!! thermogasket/water shooting straight up at me but not hot at all..... so now i am at a end an needing help on deciding problems to be fixed an best route to try without wasting any money...could this be a waterpump problem as well as headgasket blown????????

Old 09-25-2012, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Cold water shooting up when you opened the radiator cap? Sounds like the headgasket.
Open the radiator cap first when the engine's cold. Then start the engine. Does the water immediately shoot out?

You may have really overheated things by driving it from the shop with no coolant. I'm reluctant to guess what all might have happened, but if you remove the head you should inspect the cylinder walls and check the deck and the head for flatness. You might save yourself some work by finding a replacement engine??

Old 10-06-2012, 05:13 PM

Update so after replacing the seals that burnt up from driving the car from the shop I am now going to start the steps to replace the Headgasket, Waterpump, timing belt, all coolant sensors/fan switches....is there anyone that could give me the steps on doing this. I know that if your replacing the headgasket an you might as well replace the waterpump an timing belt so as I save up the cash for all the parts I would like to have the motor broke down an ready to install everything

Old 10-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

With the engine overheating, there is no guarantee that the piston bore or rings, etc didn't get damaged.

Before doing anything to the engine, try doing a compression test. If one of the cylinders is really low, then you may want to do a leakdown test.

Then you will need to decide if you want to repair the cylinder head or replace the engine. If you remove the cylinder head, you should definitely have it milled.

You may want to check out car-part.com to search junkyards for an engine by price or distance. If you have a cherry picker, the cost of replacing the engine will be cheaper than repairing the cylinder head.