General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overheating/ gauge reading

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Default overheating/ gauge reading

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum however I have been doing a lot of surfing the net for solutions to this problem of mine.I recently bought a 93 accord 183k miles.I changed the t-stat and both sensors on the cooling system. ie the stubby one infront and the long one next to the t-stat. I also changed the belt on the alternator, but did not touch the water pump or timing belt. Both sensors and t-stat are after market about half the price of the honda parts.The coolant is very clean ,the oil looks good.Every thing looked good for this trip that I had planned.After driving for 1200 miles in 36 hours period I noticed the temperature gauge was very near the red line on the gauge.I immediately stopped let the engine cooled off and then looked under the hood. I found out that I was loosing coolant at a very slow rate due to a leaky seal. I replaced this seal on the front of the engine where the hose is attached.My problem now is the temperature gauge goes straight to hot as in the redarea now ..as soon as the ignition is turned on.That is when the engine is cold. and the car is not even running
Any help will be surely appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: overheating/ gauge reading

The engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor may have shorted that drives the gauge, or perhaps you accidentally removed the single wire (red wire on 90 Accord, your's may be differnt) to the sensor and loose connector end is shorted to ground. The ECT sensor is under the distributor behind the thermoswitch B (upper radiator hose coolant temp switch). Note, manual warns not to let a shorted gauge remain ON w/ keyswitch or gauge movement may be damaged.

You're due for a 2nd timing belt change. I wouldn't put it off much longer. Honda interval is 90Kmiles. A new water pump should be installed unless you're sure it's been replaced earlier.

good luck

Old 08-08-2007, 11:39 AM

Thanks Texas , I have just finished checking the ect switch. When Iremove the red wire the gauge goes right down . So I know the connection is true. I guess replacing the ect sensor would correct this problem. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a bad sender. But beware... The repair manual has warnings about shorting that wire to ground because it can damage the gauge in your cluster. If the bad sender hassent the gaugetoo high, maybe it's been hurt too.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Default Temp gauge sensor

I just replaced my temp gauge sensor. Be carefull, I used a sensor from the local parts store and after installed it would indicate almost redline temp before the cooling fans come on. I used an IR thermometer to check coolant temp and even with the gauge close to redline the coolant was only about 193 F. Thats when the fans came, right on temp. I purchased a temp sensor from Honda, installed and the gauge read normally, the cooling fans came on just below the half scale mark.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome newbie!
Interesting observation about the sender. I guess that's another reason to use real parts.