General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please. Car not starting, dealer wants $1100 for new gauge cluster.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 03:21 PM
Default Help please. Car not starting, dealer wants $1100 for new gauge cluster.

I have a 2015 Honda Accord, EX-L. I’ve had it for 2 years now, at 65k miles, close to 100k now. Car has never given me a single issue. Until now. I went to get an oil change that I admit was way overdue. Either way, I go into a local mechanic near my house. I also went in for an inspection. He finishes my oil change and I come back, but says one of my tires needs to be replaced before it can pass inspection, which I had made an appointment to change. So I say okay I will come back after the tires are replaced. Either way, I leave the shop and drive home. No problems. An hour later, I leave to go to a haircut appointment, and mid drive, my gauge just goes blank. Completely blank. Car was still driving but I panicked, so when I stopped at a light, I put it into park and shut the car off and tried to restart it. No luck. It was cranking but just wouldn’t start, I eventually tried too many times and the battery drained. I get it towed to the mechanic. The tow driver asks me what happened, told him I wasn’t sure, he gives me a jump just to see, and the car started and immediately shut off. At this point, I was convinced the mechanic did something wrong with the oil change. Next day, he calls and says my engine is perfectly fine, but my car is not recognizing my key, and that’s why it’s not starting. Mind you, the keys will lock and unlock the passenger side, but won’t do anything on the drivers side, and won’t start the car. Mechanic says get a lock smith to reprogram the key. That didn’t make any sense to me so I took it to the dealer. I was excited at first because after looking at the car they said oh, it is your key, we just need to reprogram a new one. Felt stupid for not trusting the mechanic. Then, I get a call later, “it won’t allow us to even reprogram the key, it seems like we need to replace the gauge cluster itself”. And they quoted $1100. I have a feeling that that is not the issue. Does anyone have any ideas?? I will appreciate all help!

Old 11-06-2023, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

This will be tough to diagnose using this forum, because newer cars have control modules that are very integrated. You'd also need a scanner that can see the network and read codes along with a wiring diagram. In the end the issue could be your instrument cluster.

If the $1100 to replace the cluster is too expensive, you might want to reach out to businesses online that can repair instrument clusters to save some money.

Old 11-17-2023, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Roohidp
I have a 2015 Honda Accord, EX-L. I’ve had it for 2 years now, at 65k miles, close to 100k now. Car has never given me a single issue. Until now. I went to get an oil change that I admit was way overdue. Either way, I go into a local mechanic near my house. I also went in for an inspection. He finishes my oil change and I come back, but says one of my tires needs to be replaced before it can pass inspection, which I had made an appointment to change. So I say okay I will come back after the tires are replaced. Either way, I leave the shop and drive home. No problems. An hour later, I leave to go to a haircut appointment, and mid drive, my gauge just goes blank. Completely blank. Car was still driving but I panicked, so when I stopped at a light, I put it into park and shut the car off and tried to restart it. No luck. It was cranking but just wouldn’t start, I eventually tried too many times and the battery drained. I get it towed to the mechanic. The tow driver asks me what happened, told him I wasn’t sure, he gives me a jump just to see, and the car started and immediately shut off. At this point, I was convinced the mechanic did something wrong with the oil change. Next day, he calls and says my engine is perfectly fine, but my car is not recognizing my key, and that’s why it’s not starting. Mind you, the keys will lock and unlock the passenger side, but won’t do anything on the drivers side, and won’t start the car. Mechanic says get a lock smith to reprogram the key. That didn’t make any sense to me so I took it to the dealer. I was excited at first because after looking at the car they said oh, it is your key, we just need to reprogram a new one. Felt stupid for not trusting the mechanic. Then, I get a call later, “it won’t allow us to even reprogram the key, it seems like we need to replace the gauge cluster itself”. And they quoted $1100. I have a feeling that that is not the issue. Does anyone have any ideas?? I will appreciate all help!

had a similar problem. Most likely not even they key. Check all the fuses. Interior and exterior. If everything looks good then check your battery. Battery will make electronics do weird shi when it’s about to go out or when there are corroded terminals. If nothing try replacing the key battery if that’s done put the key right by the push start button. Sometimes the signal is weak. Let me know how that does

Old 11-28-2023, 11:23 AM

Ignition switch??