General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP QUICK! (Electrical Problem!? 07 Accord EX-L)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Default HELP QUICK! (Electrical Problem!? 07 Accord EX-L)

Hey everyone - hope someone can give me some quick advice...

2007 Honda Accord EX-L (Inline 4) with ~50,000 miles

This is my daily driver - I drove it to work today with no problems or issues noted. I am supposed to drive my wife and three week old son up to Cleveland tomorrow for the holidays in this car - as a matter of fact I had just finished packing some things in it when I found it wouldn't start. I had the rear light on in the back seat for about 15-20 minutes while I installed a car seat. But I made sure I turned it off and about 30 minutes later when I tried to move the car it wouldn't start. The electrical power in the car turns off and on rapidly when I turn the key to the "ON" position (almost like someone was connecting/disconnecting the battery really fast). The battery was replaced a month ago when I had the brakes replaced. I tried to jump it but it didn't work. When I try to start it I just hear the starter solenoid clicking. When the power stays on long enough, the radio works, the lights will come on, etc. - it does not appear the battery is low or dead (and I did try to jump it). I am thinking some odd electrical problem? Unless I can get it figured out tonight I will have to get it towed tomorrow morning. Oh and I moved the shifter around to thinking maybe it was a neutral safety switch but that didn't work either.

ANY THOUGHTS OR IDEAS!?!

Old 12-21-2011, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

When trying to jump start the car, I usually run the car (giving the jump) a little and revving it a little bit with with the jumper cables hooked up. Then I would try to start the other car. Try that if you haven't yet.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Check for loose battery cables at the batter posts.

I used a 10mm boxed wrench when I installed my battery years ago on my accord, and I got the cables as tight as I could. I couldn't start my car a bit later. I could easily pull off my battery cables. I used a 10mm socket on the cables and got it much tighter. I couldn't pull off the battery cable ends and had no problems after that.