General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help : Rats chewed wire in engine compartment

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 10:30 PM
hmr
Default Help : Rats chewed wire in engine compartment

I own a 2000 Honda Accord EX sedan, A/T, 4 cylinder. Last night I started the car and heard a thud from the engine compartment. I opened the hood and discovered pieces of mutilated rat around the pulley belts ( right front portion of the engine as you face it ). I cleaned up some of the mess and started the car again. Another thud and I discover a second mutilated rat in the same area. It looks like both rats got caught up in the pulleys / belts mechanism. I only mention these details in case it may give you a clue as to where they are hanging out or nesting. So far I've discovered several chewed areas and one wire where all of the insulation is chewed off leaving it bare. Some of the wire is frayed but most strands are still connected. See attached photos of wire and location ( left interior fender wall ). The wire is partially blocked in one photo but it's all bare. Please tell me what this wire is for. And, can I wrap this bare wire with electrical tape or how do I fix it and cover it ? Thanks much for any help.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Back away with the camera, so we can see what's around. Upper-left of the top photo, that looks like the cruise-control vacuum operator? Are those wires going into that? Probably OK to wrap that back up with electrical tape, but I think it would be better to solder/splice a bit of wire and use heat-shrink tubing for a better repair that's more waterproof.

Look at your air filter. That's another place they like to chew up.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:11 AM
hmr

Thanks for the input. That cluster of wires leads into a bigger wrapped bundle of wiring. Then, splits off with one group going

towards the engine and the other group into the fender ( maybe front lighting ? ). It looks like I've got bigger problems than just a bare wire. See attached photo. The upper belt has partially moved out of it's pulley groove. You can see fur and blood on both belts. Will that belt stay positioned long enough to drive the car to a mechanic ? Thanks.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Got some tools?

That's the power steering pump up on top, and that belt only powers the PS pump. You can loosen the mounting for the PS pump & put the belt back in place. The mounting screws for the PS pump are also used for adjusting the tension on that belt. I'll try to find some pictures of that.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Here you go...

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2002 PS belt.pdf (91.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 11-13-2018, 01:37 PM
hmr

Thanks much for the help !

Old 11-14-2018, 02:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by hmr
... And, can I wrap this bare wire with electrical tape or how do I fix it and cover it ? Thanks much for any help.
I've have significant miserable experience with rodent damage: mice and cottontail rabbits. Generally I think the more often I drive the car the less likely it is for my critters to climb up; don't know rats.

On another car just now I bought some light duty glue strip mouse and insect traps, cut them into appropriate sized patches and taped them to 4 of the flat surfaces in the engine comparment - will see if it works/helps. Had earlier tried mothballs left in 2 small cloth bags in engine compartment - didn't work for mice.

Although I've not used it, Honda sells rodent repellent tape!
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by UhOh; 11-16-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:16 AM
hmr

Yes, it's a big problem. Constantly having to monitor the car now. Trying fly paper traps, peppermint oil, etc. A neighbor discovered a family of rats living in the torque converter of her Lincoln !