General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help. Replacing Fuel Lines and Brake Lines

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 12:35 PM
Question Help. Replacing Fuel Lines and Brake Lines

Looking to replace fuel lines and brake lines in my 01 Accord LX 3.0L.

Any recommended step by step instructions available?

Do any of you have helpful hints. What to do and not do.

Going to purchase the lines pre-bent. Any additional purchases I should consider?

Thanks

Old 05-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Don't have step by step but pretty sure you are going to need to get the car up in the air enough to be able to drop the gas tank and that. No a fun job but can be done.....ps there is not a drain for the gas tank so figure that into your plans as dealing with a half/full gas tank can be fun

Old 05-03-2017, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

I think the plastic clips that hold the lines under the rocker panel can become brittle and break when you remove the fuel line. You may need to replace them. You also want to make sure that your new line does not rub against anything, because you will wear a hole in it.

There is a good video from southmainauto on youtube where he goes through replacing a lines under a rusty car. He has a pretty good channel on youtube for doing auto repairs.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:28 AM

Thanks all.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check out fuel line replacement video by South Main Auto channel on youtube. Looks like a job for a lift and special tools.

good luck

Old 05-05-2017, 03:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I think the plastic clips that hold the lines under the rocker panel can become brittle and break when you remove the fuel line. You may need to replace them. You also want to make sure that your new line does not rub against anything, because you will wear a hole in it.

There is a good video from southmainauto on youtube where he goes through replacing a lines under a rusty car. He has a pretty good channel on youtube for doing auto repairs.
Also look up removing the rear subframe videos (gas tank drop), as you'll want it out of the way to do the right rear brake line. Keep in mind there are 4 big bolts that hold the subframe in place, plus 8 smaller bolts (12 total) for the rear subframe. Also, if the car is from a rusty area (the salt belt), the left rear lower shock bolt can rust to the lower bushing (steel sleeve), and give you greif on getting it apart. (BTDT too). Keep in mind you don't have to remove the rear sway bar or it's end links like the FSM and Haynes says (they can stay in place).
I only mention this/these, as I dropped the rear sub out of my 99 Accord last month to replace the rusted out fuel tank. In my case I was following directions for removing it on a V6 car, but mine is a 4 cylinder car and doesn't have the extra bolts. Also, since mine is drum braked in the rear, I had to do a couple of things differently. You can also go to 6thgenAccord.com to see pics and text of replacing the fuel tank (or dropping the rear subframe out). It'll be in the DIY section. My pics are in the Members section of that site.

Plan on replacing the plastic line cover, as that thing is fragile, and WILL try to break when being removed (BTDT on my wife's 2000 Accord). There might be some smaller clips that might break too, but I can't tell you which ones. I used zip ties to help hold stuff together in various places.
I hope this helps.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 05-05-2017 at 03:35 PM.