General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HELP! WEIRD PROBLEM

Old 04-14-2006, 05:08 AM
cybersnake
Unregistered
Default HELP! WEIRD PROBLEM

My 2003 Honda Accord has developed a strange problem. Sometimes (but not all the time), when I am turning the steering wheel sharply to the right, the charging system (alternator?) indicator light comes on, the car appears to almost stall or "freeze" momentarily, and there is a vibration-type noise that lasts a few seconds. Initially, this happened only when reversing at an angle into my driveway. Tonight, for the first time, it happened while I was turning right at an intersection in forward gear (Drive). I noticed that at lower speeds the problem does not seem to occur (i.e., it is usually while turning the steering wheel to the right and depressing the accelerator to some extent). Also, it may depend somewhat on the angle of the turn. I took the car into the Honda dealer for a diagnostic before the most recent event, and they could not reproduce the problem and could not diagnose the problem. Now, I am concerned that it may be becoming a real safety issue. I must admit that I know nothing about mechanics, so I would appreciate any advice. I thought perhaps there could be a cable that leads to the alternator coming into contact with a steering system component, but I don't know whether this theory makes any sense at all. Can anyone help me out? Many thanks.

Wayne
Vancouver, BC

Old 04-14-2006, 07:37 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: HELP! WEIRD PROBLEM

i think there is a problem with your powersteering system. if the sensor that monitors the drag that the pump is creating on the motor was broken, then the motor wouldnt know to speed up when you were turning. but you have a variable speed power steering system. it is supposed to make initial turn in and turning the wheel all the way over easier. if there was a problem with that system, then it might make the pump operate with so much drag that the system is operating outside of the set parameters, and then even when full compensation is applied, there still isnt enough power to keep the engine from stalling

Old 04-14-2006, 01:44 PM

That was my thoughts initially too.... Power steering issue of some sort would be my guess... For starters I would just double check your Power steering fluid, be sure not to overfill it... If it's low, start looking for leaks...

Old 04-14-2006, 08:10 PM
cybersnake
Unregistered

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions! I will check the power steering fluid, and raise the sensor issue next time I take the car in for servicing.

Old 04-14-2006, 11:57 PM

Could it also be that when you turn your steering wheel, the PS pump takes so much power from the engine that the alternator does not get enough to turn properly? Just a thought.

Old 04-15-2006, 08:36 AM
cybersnake
Unregistered

Thanks for your suggestion AgentofDarkness, but I am not sure that I understand exactly what you think the problem might be. Are you saying that the PS pump might be defective? How can I check for this problem? Please let me know. Thanks.