General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation on rolling stops

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 11:57 AM
Default RE: Hesitation on rolling stops

ORIGINAL: gonzalezvi

Oil level is fine and there are no leaks.
Oil level??? check the tranny fluid, not the oil! Its red!!!

Try putting it down into 1st gear manually. Sounds like the transmission isnt shifting down into first but then realizes that it needs to so it jerks down into it. Im no transmission expert but I would guess that theres a speed sensor the ecu reads to determine what gear the car should be in. Do you have that stupid "sport shift" option? If so is that on? I would first try manually shifting the car into 1st and start from there.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:02 PM

I don't have the sport shift. Thought about a sensor but since I get no codes and no idea where that sensor is located, I would try other options first.
I will more than likey change my tranny fluid again. WhenI manually shift, everything operates smooth.Appreciate all of everyones suggestions.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:56 PM

I had a similar issue in our minivan. It would also jerk into gears under low acceleration or rapid changes in accelerating/braking. We mentioned it when it went in for it's recall service and they did an adjustment that smoothed the shifting out. What the tech told us (true or not) was that the brain adjust the shifting based on how the vehicle is driven and they just reset it back to the default values.

Old 04-29-2007, 04:08 PM

That's something to consider. Since I'm picking up some tranny fluid at the stealership this week, I will definetely stop by the Service Dept. and inquire about this. It would be interesting to hear their diagnosis. thanks

Old 04-30-2007, 03:35 AM

Be sure to report back how it goes.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:33 PM

The problem has been solved. The motor mount which seats in the front part of the car (between the radiator fans and the engine) was shot. It had a crack in it. Therefore, allowing the engine to move forward as I slowed down and backwards asI stepped on the gas. This was causing the jerking movement on take offs.Part and labor was under $100.00. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Dang... I need to remind myself to check the simple stuff first.

Still, it's cool when it turns out to be something easy.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There is an hydraulic pump inlet screen under the trans pan that can become blocked w/ fine steel particles leading to fluid inlet restriction to the pump. I've replaced this on a couple of my cars w/ no real change, however I've had others (primarily Acuras) report impressive improvement in shift quality after replacing the inlet screen. It requires removing the trans pan and about 8-6mm bolts. Only tricky part is keeping up w/ bolt lengths and matching bolt holes. I think there are 3-different bolt lengths[:@]

good luck