General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda Accord 1..8 Vtec Sport *engine management light on*

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Default Honda Accord 1..8 Vtec Sport *engine management light on*

Hi guy, i need some help! Today while driving my engine management light came on and has stayed on. It sounds fine, engine temp is normal, doesn't stall (altho idle does seem a little lower than usual), but occasionally while accelerating, mostly in 2nd or 3rd gear the car misfires. Just spent more than i wanted to putting it though an MOT so i'm pretty worried and would be really grateful for any help.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:46 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

What is an MOT?
Here in the USA most auto part stores will scan your codes for free, do you have the same thing there?

Old 04-19-2012, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

That light could be for a long list of things ranging from quick $10 fixes to condemned motors. I'm not sure what country you are in, but in the United States auto parts stores have the tool that reads the code to tell you what made the light go on and will do so for free. If you don't have stores like this in your country than you will have to bring it to a mechanic to have them read the code.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:55 PM

Here in the UK a MOT is like a yearly test you must put your car through to make sure it is road worthy which is a law requirement. Guess i'll be taking my poor car into honda tomorrow for some diagnostics then, they charge an arm and a leg too!

Old 04-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Top of the "General Tech." area is a sticky post about "common DIY.." Look for a link about reading error codes.

Your "engine management" lamp is equivalent to our "check-engine" lamp.

I was gonna ask what year, but I see it's in your signature now. Any auto-parts chain stores over there that will plug in a code-reader and tell you the error codes? It's letter "P" followed by 4 digit number. P1234 or whatever it is.

If you can get someone to read the code, then post it here someone will help out. It's a LOT more useful to have the number, not just the guy's guess about what you need to fix.

MOT is kinda like our smog-testing but it also includes some amount of structural road-worthyness exam.

I'm gonna move this over to General Tech. because that's where real questions belong. The "new member" area is pretty much for welcome & introduction postings.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:38 PM

Ok thanks i'll try and get the error codes

Old 04-21-2012, 01:30 PM

Ok guys, an update, i've had a diagnostic tool on it and its come up as a Vtec fault, the code was cleared and for a while the engine management light remained off and cars still driving fine but on the motorway today doing 80mph it missed and lost all power for a few seconds which has brought the engine management light back on. Would be very grateful if anyone has any ideas?

Old 04-22-2012, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Is it possible to get the actual code, something like P1259?

If not, check to oil level. Change it if you are anywhere near due.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

There's 2 or 3 codes for VTEC - depending on which one, it can likeley by caused by oil sludge in the VTEC spool valve. You can clean that up, then use new gaskets - old gasket will be old & hardened so might not re-seal.