General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda Accord 2003 Blower stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Default Honda Accord 2003 Blower stopped working

I was hoping I wouldn't make it this far as there are a significant number of posts regarding the blowers on this model failing, except that with my situation, the blower transistor is not the culprit, as it was with many others.

The problem: With key on, no blower on any level. A/C also appears to have been disengaged when the blower stopped as I cannot hear the compressor come on any more when I turn on the A/C. My black light on the LCD display has been out for awhile, but I was able to tell that the A/C indicator still can be turned on and off. Tried many different configurations and in all, the blower will not come on.

Okay, so I checked the blower and with a stand-alone 12v supply, it works. I then checked all the fuses both under the dash and under the hood and they are all fine. I checked the relay by swapping it with an identical relay - still no work. The power transistor was removed and a resistance check was made - it came out fine.

So I don't know what is left to look at and was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction. I have a multimeter, which is what I have been using.

Thanks!

Old 08-21-2011, 04:17 PM

Problem Fixed ---- It was the power transistor after all. Specifically, the resistor that regulates resistance based on temps from the heat sink (its at the end of the board half submerged in white thermal grease. I had only tested the resistance on the #3 and #4 plugs, which is what a lot of DIY websights said to do, and mine was fine. Anyway the resistor had failed (no resistance was found with a multimeter). I replaced it with a 10ohm 1/4 watt resistor from Radio Shack and now it works fine. The DIY called for a 1ohm 1/4 watt resistor, but I don't think a 9ohm difference will matter. Well that is I hope.lol Just glad I have A/C back.