General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Honda Accord Vtec Heater matrix 2000 2ltr

Old 11-04-2009, 05:15 PM
haz
Unregistered
Default Honda Accord Vtec Heater matrix 2000 2ltr

Honda Accord 2 ltr Vtec year 2000

When the heater control is set to cold I do not lose water, As soon as it is turned to hot there is a gargling noise and found that is when there is water lost. There is no apparent water on the carpets in the car. I think the heater matrix may have a small leak

Has anyone had this sort of problem? And if so what was the outcome.

I can not find anyone local in Manchester that will sell these I do not want to buy one from the dealer as it is about £250.00

Can anyone help?

Many thanks
Haz

Old 11-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome newbie!
We're getting more & more new guys from UK!

If the heater matrix (heater core) had a leak, I think you'd smell antifreeze inside the cabin. Do you??

That's a Swindon-built car? Be careful about checking on-line parts stores in USA, because our Accord is a different car. I don't know how you'd check about the parts being interchangable.

This really belongs in General Tech, so I'll move it.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I would suggest using a cooling system pressure checker to determine if you have a leak and from where with the heater control set to hot. It should hold pressure over a period of time.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:23 PM
haz
Unregistered

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Welcome newbie!
We're getting more & more new guys from UK!

If the heater matrix (heater core) had a leak, I think you'd smell antifreeze inside the cabin. Do you??

That's a Swindon-built car? Be careful about checking on-line parts stores in USA, because our Accord is a different car. I don't know how you'd check about the parts being interchangable.

This really belongs in General Tech, so I'll move it.
thanks Jim
There is a smell of antifreeze
Will open it up today and see if i can see the leak
haz

Old 11-05-2009, 02:26 PM
haz
Unregistered

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
I would suggest using a cooling system pressure checker to determine if you have a leak and from where with the heater control set to hot. It should hold pressure over a period of time.
Thanks Chris
Have doe a pressure check and and it is not holding the pressure so I do have a leak
Looks like have to open it and change the matrix
Haz

Old 11-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

A few years back in an engineering class for Ford the HVAC speaker said that vehicles have gone to the plastic tanks for heater cores and overtime will leak. They use a gasket to mate the aluminum core to the plastic tank. I hope this is not standard. Most of the radiators I have seen fail on imports is this combination of materials.