General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda not firing

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 08:43 AM
96A
Default Honda not firing

My Honda Accord will not start. It sounds as if it is out of gas but that isn’t the issue. I have installed a new ignition switch with the wires, replaced the distributor, checked the fuel pump/ fuel pressure and they are functioning properly. I have to turn and hold the switch over for it to fire up and start but now when I’m driving it tries to cut off if I slow down or stop. I have to press and hold the gas for it to continue to run. I’ve checked the spark plugs and they are functioning properly also. What could be my problem? Could be a shortage between my computer and distributor?

Old 12-23-2014, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Need more details on your car. Model year, trim level, mileage. Embedding in signature line is suggested.

Is check engine light On?

"I have to turn and hold the switch over for it to fire up". Does this mean the engine turns over but won't start or fails to continue to run unless you hold switch in a certain position?

Does car run OK once fully warmed and driven?

You want to somehow isolate whether fuel delivery or spark is fundamental problem. This requires more information.

good luck

Old 12-23-2014, 10:32 AM
96A

It's a 1996 Accord LX with over 300,000 miles with a fresh head job. It fails to continue to run unless the switch is in a certain position. It runs ok once it's started but now it's to the point when I come to a stop it shuts down unless I continue to press the gas. The fuel pump is working and its supplying gas to the injectors.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Your description suggests two problems:

1) holding keyswitch in certain position to start/run indicates ignition switch assy fault, even though it's been replaced.

2) Failure to idle (stops) usually means air starvation due to Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) blockage. Suggest cleaning throttle body bore and plate (both sides) w/ throttle body cleaner and cleaning IACV inlet screen and valve movement w/ throttle body cleaner.

good luck