General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Honda problems need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 10:43 AM
Default Honda problems need some help.

Ok so I have a 91 Honda Accord. Will start but just started dyeing when it runs for a min. Now if I turn it off it sometime will start back up other wise it will not. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with my car . It's a 5 speed if that helps any.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

First we need some idea of what it does or doesn't do... Don't take this the wrong way, but it seems like EVERYBODY uses different terminology for what is going on.

When it doesn't start, does the starter spin the engine? Watch for the alternator belt spinning. If so, your battery & starter are OK.

If the engine spins but doesn't make any sign of firing up, then you have to decide between lack of fuel vs. lack of spark. Try squirting starter fluid or carb cleaner in the throttle & try again. A few seconds of running means the spark is OK.

With more information we can ask a few more questions to narrow things down.

Meanwhile, I'll move this to General Tech which is a better place for this topic.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:40 AM

Ok more info​ is.
if the car has sat for a min then it will start.
So far it has stopped on me two times I can't even pop the cluch and keep it running it won't stay running but after it sits I can start it.
I'm looking into giving the car a tune up. But idk what else would be the problem

Old 06-01-2017, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Doesn't really answer my questions.

So when it fails to start, is it inability to crank? Lack of fuel? Lack of spark?

Old 06-03-2017, 05:09 AM
Default Yes

Yes it crankes but won't turn over until it sits I am changing the filter now but I don't know if that is the problem.

So far I have changed the spark plugs and wires. Pluse the full filter.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Have you checked whether spark is present? One way is to spray carb-cleaner in the throttle to see if it fires for a couple seconds?

Have you listened for the fuel pump running for 2 seconds when you first turn the key to ON?