General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda special tool 07JAG-SD40100 MC Push rod adj

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Default Honda special tool 07JAG-SD40100 MC Push rod adj

Greetings all!

I know the Helm shop manual indicates the use of a special push rod adjustment tool Honda Part 07JAG-SD40100 (when installing new Master Cylinders). I have changed four master cylinders at this point, over 25+ years of Honda ownership, and I have never had a tool to use. I asked two different Honda Shops if they would allow me to look at the tool. Both told me they do not have the tool and they have never used it. I hoped to make something similar to get the job done. I don't like the idea of spending almost $200.00 for a tool I might use every five years. I looked for an aftermarket adjustment tool and I have not found one yet. Has anyone found an aftermarket push rod adjustment tool?

I am changing the first Master Cylinder on an Accord with ABS brakes. I am concerned proper adjustment may be more important with ABS brakes. All my prior successes have been with standard brake systems.

Does anyone own the tool and is it all that helpful? I usually grab the push rod, attached to the brake pedal, and moved it back and forth. This give me a feel for the "slack" in the rod. I recheck the amount of play after changing the Master Cylinder. I only adjust it if it "feels" as if there is a huge difference. So far this method has worked. I also measure the depth of the bore for the push rod in the old and new MC. I also measure the depth of the body of the MC (end that extends into the Brake Booster) from the mounting flange. The dial caliper is good to at least .001. The OEM Master Cylinders I purchased, to date, are dimensionally consistent with the Honda Part.

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-26-2013, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a link with info. on an alternative to using the special service tool for pushrod adjustment.

PART 7 - Adjusting the Master Cylinder pushrod