Honda stalls and then wont come out of park - Page 2 - Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Go Back  Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums > General > General Tech Help
Reload this Page >

Honda stalls and then wont come out of park

General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Honda stalls and then wont come out of park

Old 01-29-2013, 08:11 AM

To my way of thinking it has to be an ignition switch or ECM - those are the only things that might explain both the stalling and the locking in park situation. Make sense? I will check the fuel pump next time it stalls. Oddly enough it has not stalled in the past 3 days.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Same issue?

I have the same issue with my 99 Accord EX. The shifter will not come out of Park and the engine turns over without any spark or trying to start. I have been able to tap the shift lever (more into park) sort of and turn the key on and off and when the shift lever can move, then the car starts. Yesterday I could not get it to shift out of Park and the car would not start. I tried it this morning and it started right up. It was extremely warm inside the car yesterday and because I had the windows up while at work, I wonder if the steering coluum heated up and some contacts did not mate properly?

Old 06-10-2013, 07:28 AM

My car has not stalled in the past 6 months or so, and I have all but put it out of my mind - The only thing we have to fear is fear itself, right? I am still puzzled as to why it stalled so much for two weeks or so, and has now "fixed itself." I have considered a bad tank of fuel. While that might explain the stall, it would not explain the locked shifter.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:01 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JPurdie View Post
My car has not stalled in the past 6 months or so, and I have all but put it out of my mind - The only thing we have to fear is fear itself, right? I am still puzzled as to why it stalled so much for two weeks or so, and has now "fixed itself." I have considered a bad tank of fuel. While that might explain the stall, it would not explain the locked shifter.
I got my issue figured out and it may explain the shifter lockup. I pulled the Main Relay under the dash and opened it up and found some questionable solder connections. I re-soldered the joints and it has been working every time since. I believe (and also saw this on some YouTube video) and it appears that others do also that this is a common problem with some of these relays when they get extremely hot or extremely cold their solder connections do not mate properly. This relay will also cause the shifter to lock in Park and the fuel pump to not operate which explains the non-start issue. I hope this helps explain it better and if the problem comes up again, you may want to check it out.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:46 AM

BLKGOLFER1 - Has your honda stalled any more? Mine is stalling again and I am thinking of putting in a new relay, but wondered if your proplem is "still" fixed.