General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hot starting problem in '91 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 01:38 AM
babylon888
Unregistered
Default hot starting problem in '91 Accord

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum.
As stated in the subject, I am starting to have a hot starting problem in my '91 Accord LX with the 5 spd. The problem acutally started toward the end of last summer, when the car would either be very hard to start or it would crank but wouldn't start when it was warm outside. When it did start, it would run fine. Another odd problem is when I was holding the brake pedal, say, at a traffic light, sometimes the pedal would just go all the way to the floor. The brake fluid level is fine, and I don't see any leak around the master cylinder. During this winter, it always started right up, and the brake pedal is fine. I think both these problems are temp related, but just not sure exactly where the problem is. Anyone had a similar problem? Maybe you could shed some light on this situation. Thanks!

Old 02-16-2006, 02:01 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: hot starting problem in '91 Accord

both problems are vwery common with Hondas , especially in how weather ..

One of them you should take care of ASAP ..the brake pedal fading to the floor,,

You got an internal leak in the brake master cylinder,,,,replace with a honda part , if you do the job yourself, make sure to bench bleed the master cylinder before installing it ..

the other it sounds like a bad main relay,, remove the relay, chk the solderings i bet you will find some cracked ,, resolder them and you will be good as new .

If you need help with the relay,,( location and how to,, ) let me know

Old 02-16-2006, 02:32 AM
babylon888
Unregistered

Thank you for the suggestions. I did find out that a lot of people are having the problem with the main relay.
I think the main relay is located next to the fuse box just forward of the driver's door. But I haven't looked yet, so I don't know if I could find it.
I am somewhat intriqued by the fading brake pedal problem, because it doesn't haven't during the cold weather, but only when it's hot and only when I have already come to a full stop and just holding the pedal. But what you said makes sense.
Thanks again.

Old 02-16-2006, 02:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

your master cylinder is absolutely toast. it needs to be replaced asap