General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard starting in hot waether

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 09:46 AM
91hondalover
Unregistered
Default Hard starting in hot waether

I am and have had for the past few summers an inconsistent problem with my 91 Accord lx. It seem that if the ambient temp gets above 85, I have trouble starting her back up ater driving for various periods of time. The problem is compounded by the fact it does not happen all of the time. I drive an easy 30k per year since 99 and the problem first appered in 02. It seem if you let it sit for short period (5 minto 1/2hr) it will start. I start the car 6-8 times a day almost always with out any problem. But now that warmer weather has arrived so has the intermintent hard start. I use high test fuel only, religous maintenance, oil changes & tune ups including three timing belts, new distributor in 01. I have 299,741 now and want MORE . This is the best auto I have ever owned (women have come & gone but the car remained). Due to the inconsistent nature no mech could help.
Other that this issue, the car is a dream. Does anyone have a clue?

Old 05-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Hard starting in hot waether

Does the starter crank OK?

The common flaky main relay will result in the fuel pump not running, so the starter will crank OK but there's no fuel. Seems to happen mostly when the cabin is hot.

When it happens next, turn the key to 'run' but don't immediately go to 'start'. Listen for the fuel pump to run for 2 seconds then quit. (It's not very loud, so turn off the stereo.) If this doesn't run, it's probably a bad main relay. If it DOES run, try to start it. If it fails to start even when the fuelpump runs, then look for a different problem...

If you're good at soldering, there's a couple solder joints that crack. You can re-melt the solder to fix it. Or buy a new relay.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:29 PM
91hondalover
Unregistered

Jim, first of all thanks for the info. Secondly - yes it does have plenty of crank and turnover yet no engagement. I have also noted (due to white exterior and bule interior) that the cabin is hot as I prop the door open while I am waiting. Possible cause & effect relationship here I see. I will also check for the sound of the fuel pump and I will check the main relay - could soder but prefer to R & R. I have a Hanes manual and will try to locate the relay. Can the relay be tested in the car? and if so how? Computer, continuity or ohms or other?

Thanks again

Old 05-29-2007, 02:23 PM

Try this website: http://techauto.bravehost.com/

It had all the information I needed to do the same. White car, blue interior. Coincidence? Nah, just common...

Old 05-29-2007, 03:02 PM
91hondalover
Unregistered

Thanks a million Roderman- That is excatly what I need (and a great info site) - so common but I never heard of it before and my Haynes manual had little info on the PGM-FI main relay.
Thanks again!