General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How to clean EGR ports for a 94 accord EX VTEC

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Injector O-rings get hardened from age & heat, so they very often don't re-seal. I'd get new ones. Not sure about the other gasket, it's not an O-ring so maybe it depends if you tear it coming off.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies

hondadude??? will this work on a 2000 4cyl?? im getting a p0401 EGR insufficient flow, my buddy put a replacement EGR valve he had on another motor and after a drive cycle the MIL came back on... so im thinking the ports are clogged??? please help...

Old 04-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Might be easier...?

I think somewhere around 1998 the EGR ports going to each cylinder were enlarged, so you end up cleaning crud out of a larger single hole from the plenum to the EGR valve.

I guess I'd remove the EGR valve & have a good look.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Default 1994 Honda Accord LX EGR Valve

Hi i own a 1994 Honda Accord LX i have a code 12 coming up on my check engine light which i know it the egr valve.... This may have already been answered but could some one point me to a video or somthing to help me clean my EGR Valve i know how to remove it from my Hans book but i need to know how to clean it with out distroying it.... As the stuff to clean it but do not have the money to buy a new EGR Valve as it is about $130 any help or direction in this matter would be greatly appretiated...

Thanks Chad Hill AKA Honda Owner

Old 04-12-2012, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

There's a "sticky" thread at the top of this area called "common DIY..." something or other. Look in there for EGR port cleaning.

Never done it, but seems most people need to clean the EGR ports, and less likely you need to BUY a new EGR valve.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:11 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
There's a "sticky" thread at the top of this area called "common DIY..." something or other. Look in there for EGR port cleaning.

Never done it, but seems most people need to clean the EGR ports, and less likely you need to BUY a new EGR valve.
I know it's an old thread, not trying to hi-jack but have the same question.

So I cleaned the EGR ports on my 1994 Accord EX A/T today, but broke '2' hoses, one going from crank to the fuel rail and other shown in the picture below:

Any one can tell the size of these hoses? I went to Autozone and Advanced couldn't find the exact one, so brought the closest one and now have to put a clamp on it, since it's leaking air

Another question, I didn't replace the injector o-ring or any other gasket, where and how can I see a leak, if there is any?

Thanks for all of your help guys!

Attached Thumbnails How to clean EGR ports for a 94 accord EX VTEC-hose.jpg  
Old 02-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

That is a vac hose if I'm following the pic correct. That looks like the FIA solenoid...see pic, don't pay attention to the red arrow....that was for someone else

Check for any fuel leaks at the top of the injectors....fuel leaks onto a hot engine are never a good thing, that is why I always replace those o-rings, not worth the leak.

The chamber gasket is a metal one and can be reused a few times so I would not worry with that one too much.

Attached Thumbnails How to clean EGR ports for a 94 accord EX VTEC-5th-gen-egr-vac.jpg  
Old 02-04-2013, 07:58 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
That is a vac hose if I'm following the pic correct. That looks like the FIA solenoid...see pic, don't pay attention to the red arrow....that was for someone else

Check for any fuel leaks at the top of the injectors....fuel leaks onto a hot engine are never a good thing, that is why I always replace those o-rings, not worth the leak.

The chamber gasket is a metal one and can be reused a few times so I would not worry with that one too much.
You guys know 10000000 times better than me

Yes, I think it's a FIA solenoid, I have a clamp on it right now, can you please tell me the exact size of this hose?

After firing up the car, I don't see any visible leaks and I have not replaced the o-rings

Should I replace them now or not worry about it?

Thanks again guys, really appreciate it.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

Again, it is a vac hose....I would think a good parts store would have a few choices, take a "piece/part" of the hose that is away from the connector (where it connects it will be bigger than OE as time/age/heat formed it to a different size). If you are still not sure get a foot of every size smaller that what you bought......at best less than $5 cost.

If there are no leaks, don't buy a lottery ticket anytime soon. Keep/check the top of the injectors for fuel leaks over the next few days....where the rail seats/sets onto the injectors.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:54 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
Again, it is a vac hose....I would think a good parts store would have a few choices, take a "piece/part" of the hose that is away from the connector (where it connects it will be bigger than OE as time/age/heat formed it to a different size). If you are still not sure get a foot of every size smaller that what you bought......at best less than $5 cost.

If there are no leaks, don't buy a lottery ticket anytime soon. Keep/check the top of the injectors for fuel leaks over the next few days....where the rail seats/sets onto the injectors.
Thanks so much for the pointer about the size.

Will keep looking for the leak, thanks Man