General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to deep clean the fuel injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Default How to deep clean the fuel injectors?

I am getting alot of misfire codes, and to problem solve I decided to clean the fuel injectors. I went Kragen, where a sales guy pointed out which line to unplug and pump the injector cleaner into. When I got home I realized it was an electrical line.

I looked online for diagrams so I could identify the correct line to unhook, but couldn't find one.

Does anyone have a clear diagram of a Honda Accord EX v6 that points out the fuel injectors? And it would be really helpful to get a clear description of how to do it. Thanks!

Old 07-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

What exactly did you buy? Except for some specialized equipment, the only way to get that cleaner INTO the injectors, is to pour it into your gas tank. What does the bottle say as far as directions for use??

(If you had the equipment to put that stuff directly into the injectors, you wouldn't have asked the question the way you did.)

Finally, what year Accord? 1995 through 2010 not all the V-6 engines are the same.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
What exactly did you buy? Except for some specialized equipment, the only way to get that cleaner INTO the injectors, is to pour it into your gas tank. What does the bottle say as far as directions for use??

(If you had the equipment to put that stuff directly into the injectors, you wouldn't have asked the question the way you did.)

Finally, what year Accord? 1995 through 2010 not all the V-6 engines are the same.

my car is a 2002.

I read online that you can disconnect the line to the fuel tank and put a bottle of injector cleaner (I bought the Lucas brand) straight into it while the engine is running. I just don't know which line to disconnect.

I ended up putting it into the gas tank as directed. However, my engine still idles roughly, and the clean is supposed to be more thorough if you take the gas completely out of the mix.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

There's 3 lines from the fuel tank to the engine compartment.

Fuel supply line is pressurized so you can't open that one up while it's running. Gas will spray out everywhere.

Fuel return line carries fuel back to the tank (from the FPR). Putting it in there is exactly the same as pouring it into the gas tank.

Fuel vapor line connects the intake manifold to the EVAP canister & that won't put the cleaner into the fuel injectors.

I'm not sure what you read on-line, but it doesn't seem to make sense for Honda's fuel supply system. What do the instructions on the bottle say?

Last edited by JimBlake; 07-05-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

What codes?
What leads you to believe you have a clogged fuel injector ?