General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to fix my remote starter??

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 11:45 AM
Default How to fix my remote starter??

Looking for some ideas please..

I bought the 98 accord lx with an alarm/remote starter already insalled and from looking at the underneath of the steerting wheel I can tell there is some kind of a mess, possibly with extra wires/boxes (in addition to the alarm/start boxes/wires). Found a receipt from the autoshop in the glove box which lets me to believe some kind of ignition switch recall was performed after the remote start was installed.

The problem is that when I hit the "start" button on my remore stater keyfob, it only cranks but does not start.. is this just a matter of the starter system to learn the new "code or signal" form the new ignition? I believe I tried that already and it did not work. This appears to be an older remote starter that is no longer in production..
The only thing I have read about this is that I'm either to leave a spare key somewhere in the car or but an extra "device" or whatever to have the ignition accept/read the code given off by the original key.. The car still does not start using the remote starter even with the key in ignition..

Thanks in advance for any input!

Old 10-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

Does the car start normally when using the key?

Do you know when the remote starter stopped working (like right after the ignition switch replacement).

I don't think just having a new ignition switch would cause your problem. I think that the wiring to the remote start needs to be inspected. Having a key inside your car also will likely not solve your problem.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the response. Yes, the car does start with the key as normal. I guess the other thing I forgot to mention is that i rarely use the ARM alarm option, i just lock the doors because when the car sat for few days in a row, the batterry used to die. I drive it everyday now and do not use the alarm feature to arm the car, so not sure there is a bad ground somewhere or just batter was dead and now it works fine.

I do not know when the remote stopped working. i bought it as is and the previous owner did not tell me much about it.

I hate messing with the wiring but i guess that is what i have to do to possibly get this going before winter.