General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Much of the Dash Lighting Does the Radio Control?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 08:15 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default How Much of the Dash Lighting Does the Radio Control?

Finally reaching the end of the list of things needing to be done to this car so as to be able to call it complete and restored to its fully functioning and proper working order. The last thing to deal with on the interior is the radio and center dash illumination.

The radio/cd changer was missing from the car when I bought it. The display is there and the front fascia for the radio, climate control, etc is there - just the "box" that is the radio and CD-changer is missing. I'm hopeful that the lack of lighting in that area is due to the absence of the radio. All of the functions for the climate control operate properly and the on-button led's illuminate for the Recirc, Dual, RR-Defrost but that's it. When the headlights/parking lights are on, the only illumination is the instrument cluster, the shift selector bezel, the heated seats switches and that's it. I'm assuming each of the buttons on the climate control center illuminate as well?

2nd question...
When I replace the radio with the exact replacement that was installed in the car originally, will it restore the functionality of the display with regard to the climate control, etc.?

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2014, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

I'm a bit lost - can you take a pic and circle the area you are talking about?

Old 05-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Unfortunately, I made the question more confusing than it actually is. DOH!
My question is, are the individual buttons in the center portion of the dash supposed to be backlit when the headlights are on?
As you can see in the pic, the LED's are illuminated on the buttons but when the HVAC is off and the headlights are on that area of the dash is completely dark.
I'm assuming the reason for this is due to the radio not being present. Does the radio need to be present for the buttons to be backlit or do I need to troubleshoot this issue separately?

Name:  dashlights_zpscf146077.jpg
Views: 2215
Size:  93.0 KB

Last edited by R.A.D.; 05-10-2014 at 03:01 PM.